chapter 1

{ Intro - J.Cole }

chapter 01. intro

Amandla Stenburg ;

I walked down the street, I wasn't so happy with my family at the moment. My mom was disrespectful to my brother who came out. She said it wasn't normal, she told me not to do that. I hated living in the city of Los Angeles, I
wasn't in the good part of it on the other hand.

My life wasn't as bad, I had a roof over my head which made me think of why my life is good. I crossed the street with my black Adidas I got last year. I wore my black sweatshirt and black tights. I kept my curly hair under my hoodie so it wouldn't be so frizzy.

I had nothing against gays what so ever, I believe everything should be equal and happy. That's what I believe. I walked into the 7/11 gas station and was greeted by the worker. I put my hoodie down and smiled waving at him.

I grabbed a big size of a styrofoam cup and poured a mix of blue raspberry Icey and cherry. I filled it to the top the put the lid on and grabbed a straw. I set it down on the front counter and grabbed a big bag of sour cream and onions lays. I grabbed a bag of barbecue lays also and set both of them on the counter and payed for them.

"how's your brother? he hasn't been here in a while" Nate spoke, his voice was raspy and low. I took my eyes off his tattooed arms and looked up into his eyes. He smiled a little, his smile visible not like last time he probably shaved. "he's good, came out." I mumbled and he sighed.

"how did your mom take that?" he asked and I raised my eyebrows looking behind him. "she told him 'If you are gay, you aren't my son'" exactly what she had said. His mouth opened a little and his eyebrows raised. "oh shit" he said and I bagged my things.

He tapped on the keyboard a while and told me my total. "tell him to stop by" he said and I nodded. "alright Nate, you have a goodnight" I smiled, he ripped my receipt and handed it to me along with my bag. I grabbed my cup and bag then walked out of the gas station.

I knew all the boys that worked there only because my brother is friends with them. They all knew he was gay, they just kept it a secret just like my brother. I crossed the street and into my neighborhood. I made it to my house and unlocked the door and opened it.

My mom sat on the dinner table crying, I didn't even want to look at her. She was my mom but what she said hurt both of us. It was unlike her, he was her son no matter what. I walked into my small hallway and knocked on my brothers door.

He opened within seconds, his eyes were red and his cheek grew a crimson blush. I gave him the barbecue chips and he hugged me. "thanks amandla" he said and I nodded. He sipped on my icey before I left to my room. I walked in and turned on my light, I set the bag down on my bed and the icey on my drawer.

I took my shoes off and my sweatshirt, I had a white tank top. My hair was drizzy because I forgot to put my hoodie before I left. I turned my TV on and watched the nick @ nite only because that's all I really enjoyed. I spent my nights like this except I don't always buy things from the gas station.

I turned my light off and grabbed my cup and opened my chips laying back and resting my head on my on my pillow. The only thought that was in my head is what would my dad say if Drew said that to him. My dad is no where to be seen since I was 9. He left leaving my mom, drew, and I in this house.

my mom said he pays the bills, just never bothered to live here. I never believed it either, I knew he didn't and I knew he wouldn't. I don't know who my dad is. I don't remember him, he's been gone for 10 years and I don't remember him.

My brother thinks he'll come back and he'll see us. I don't, I don't think my dad will spend his time with us anymore. My mom must have set the bar up a little too high if he hasn't showed up. I stop thinking he'll come back 8 years ago. Took me half a year to realize he's gone.

My brother always said that my dad asked him 'do you wanna be happy, do you wanna be free' I want to be happy and free. My brother remembers a ton of things our dad said. I didn't remember anything, not him, his name, his looks, his words, nothing. I don't remember anything of him.

This was an Intro of what I live with, I moved to this house not too long ago. My brother met the boys a month ago. Our life was different around here. Here is actually better than where we used to live.

The most scariest place in America, my mom said she had my brother in 'Compton' I wasn't from there. She said I was lucky, I wouldn't survive there. In reality I knew I would. She doesn't know me better than what I know about myself.

$$
hiiiii !! I'm manda :) my main account is irrelevnt hopefully this is interesting for you guys. I am so far pumped for this book actually ! I love amandla okay, I ship her with Matt....Thanks for reading. A playlist will be up on my spotify @ coustalespinosa !! it would be great if you followed.

vote / comment / follow

- Rad manda is out !