Chapter 16

The day moves faster than usual. Every exam easier then the last, making me feel infallible.
At the end of the day, I go back to the gym to meet up with Marcus. I sit on the top bench of the bleachers and wait. I decide to play some music. I play it without headphones, and soft enough so when I sing along, so it sounds like me and the music. I start to hum, gradually making my way to full-fledged singing out loud like no one is watching. I start to move around, dancing a bit with an invisible microphone.
Suddenly, I hear another voice chime in. I open my eyes to see Marcus at the foot of the gynasium singing along with me. I stop singing, but he continues. He stands there at the bottom of the bleachers, singing like he'll never sing again. His voice is beautiful, and it sounds crisp and clear. I sit down with a thud, making it echo across the room. I shut off the music, and he smiles. Marcus makes his way up the bleachers, careful not to trip over a bench. He fumbles a bit and I hide my giggles.
"How long had you been-"
"Long enough," he interupts, his tone smooth and answering my unfinished question like a pro.
"You know your voice is gorgeous, right?" He sits next to me, raising his brow.
"Gorgeous?"
"Yes, it's beautiful."
"Hm, interesting."
"You said you couldn't get my voice out of your head? The sound that comes out of those vocal chords is beyond comparison," I say, looking at the ceiling dreamily. I turn back to him, and he just looks at me like a confused lizard. I laugh, and he tilts his head.
"You really like my voice don't you?"
"I'm in love with it, yes."
"Well fine then, have it," he grins, giving my a hug and pushing my back onto the bench. His body hangs over me, and he gives me a peck before sitting back up. I continue to lay there, wondering what I should do. I sit back up, taking his hand.
"Are you in love with anything else?"
"It's been a day, Marcus. I get that it feels like forever, but I don't like to move this fast. Cutesy stuff is perfectly fine, but whatever this is- it's not ideal, but it's not bad, either."
He takes his hand from mine and looks at the floor.
"Don't tell me you thought I'd jump into this like it was nothing."
"No, no of course not. You're a smart girl, I couldn't trick you. I... I just rushed myself. The way you are made me fall, and I fell harder than I intended. I thought it would take a while like it usually does. But, there's just something about you that-"
"That makes you feel like time is nothing and you feel like you've known me forever?" He gives me a puzzled look.
"I feel the same way. The way you talk, you popped my bubble with the first glance, and you never left my mind for a second."
"Well, this is awkward," he says, scratching his head.
"If you want me to be honest, I'd say we should give it time. Loosen up a bit so we aren't so foreign, deal?"
He hesitates, but soon smiles.
"Deal."