Chapter 1

Running along the beach, Ellie Madison stopped and bent over to pick up a clam shell out of the sand. Blowing off the excess sand, she polished it with her shirt, shoved it in her pocket, and kept running along the beach. Stopping along the shoreline she let the waves lap at her toes, giggling.

Hearing her mom yell at her that it was time to go, she flashed her mom a grin, and continued to run along the shoreline. A few moments later, she felt someone come up behind her, tapping her on the shoulder. She turned around and her dad smiled at her and then picked her up and set her up on his shoulder.

Ellie loved these fun times with her mom and dad, especially at the beach. She always looked forward to the week-ends when they spent time together. Ellie was an only child so she got bored and lonesome pretty easy. At the age of four, with her blonde hair and blue eyes, she easily made friends wherever she went. Most times though, she only went to her babysitter's house. She wished she had a brother or sister; someone to confide in, someone to play with. After being buckled into her seat, Ellie glanced down at her pocket, full of sea shells. Patting her pocket with her hand, she smiled a bit thinking of how she would get her mother's goat when she found out she had lugged more smelly sea shells home to put on her shelf in her room. Keeping her hand on her pocket to keep her sea shells safe, Ellie drifted off to sleep.