Chapter 18 - Calista

I awoke to the sound of horses galloping and the swaying of the carriage. Slumping over, my head rested on the hard wall inside the carriage. It was definitely not a comfortable position. The blindfold around my head was knotted tightly, and my hands were tied behind my back while my feet were bound at the ankles.

Someone was in the carriage with me; I could tell because I heard them breathing. Pretending to be asleep, I kept perfectly still as to not alert my captor that I was awake. I was trying to listen for any clue as to where I was going or whom I was with. The carriage was moving awfully fast, and I was assuming it was to get away from the Summer Court as quickly as possible. If what my gut was telling me was right, then we must be headed toward the Black Forest.

I couldn't tell how long I'd been unconscious, but it must have been a long while. I was hungry, thirsty, and I could really use a bathroom break. I wondered if anyone at home had noticed I was missing. Once I was knocked unconscious, the vines should've loosened up on Ryder and Merrick. Hopefully, they were out looking for me.

The carriage began to slow down and I heard a gravelly voice yelling for the horses to stop. Most trolls had the same sounding voice, so it must be a troll driving the carriage. My captor got out, and I heard bits and pieces of the conversation going on outside. I heard something about setting up camp and getting some food. Food would be welcome, but I wouldn't trust what they gave me to be safe. I wonder if Merrick can hear me from where I am.

"Merrick! Merrick, can you hear me?" I called frantically, but I felt like my mind was blocked somehow. It was as if a wall had been forced up in my head, disconnecting me from him. How was I going to let my people know I'd been taken?

The door to the carriage swung open and my captor lifted me out. I kept my body as limp as possible, but then I heard a door opening and then another. I was placed on a bed and my captor unbounded my wrists and ankles before leaving and locking the door. Where the hell am I? I stayed still for a few more minutes, making sure no one was coming back in before I decided to move. The blindfold was left on, but I swiftly took it off so I could view my surroundings.

Wow.

I was in a huge bedroom with a large, four-poster, king size bed; the room was painted in blacks and reds. The sheets were black satin with a scarlet red comforter and pillows. The room was immaculate, but why would they put me with all of these nice things if I was their captive. It didn't make any sense. The only thing that concerned me was that the room was laced with dark magic. I could feel the dirtiness of it as it swirled around me.

Getting off the bed, I headed toward the bathroom and turned on the light. A selection of shampoos and soaps were lined across the counter and there was even a toothbrush with toothpaste. What the hell? Groaning, and against my better judgment, I stripped down and got in the shower. Blood was caked in my hair and my clothes reeked of dirt and grime. Quickly, I washed up and slipped the robe on that was hanging on the back of the door. Pressing my luck, I walked back into the bedroom and headed for the closet. Would there be clothes in it?

When I opened up the door my mouth fell open. There was an abundance of clothes, or better yet, scraps of clothes in there. I picked a dress that would at least cover up some skin and put it on. It was better than the bloody clothes lying on the bathroom floor. Once I'd completely changed, I settled into the black leather chair in the corner of the room to wait on my captor.

My head no longer hurt from the blow I took, but now I needed answers. There were no windows so the chance of escape through one wasn't going to happen. I could still feel the wall in my head that was blocking all communication from the bond with Merrick; my own powers were blocked. I was starting to believe the stories about the dark sorcerer that roamed the Black Forest. The magic in the room felt exceptionally stronger and more powerful than mine, and like nothing that originated in the Land of the Fae. All I know is that I have to get out of here.

Sitting in silence, I heard footsteps coming closer. The lock turned in the door and surprisingly I wasn't shocked to see the man that was now standing in the doorway. He was carrying a tray of food and my stomach betrayed me by grumbling.

"Hello, Princess," he crooned with an evil smirk.

I scoffed. "I wish I could say the same to you, Warren."

"Now, now, Princess, there's no reason to be hostile." He strolled over to me and set the tray of food beside me on the table. He didn't seem to be bothered at all that he'd taken me against my will, and was keeping me captive. Standing up from the chair, I met his glare dead on.

The anger and hatred boiled out of my voice when I spoke, "You haven't seen hostile yet, Warren. Unfortunately, this room is contaminated with the stench of dark magic so when I get out of here, I'm going to show you just what I mean when I rip your damn head off and kick that evil smirk off your face." I paused to let my evil smirk show through. "Unless Ryder gets to you first and does a whole lot worse."

He laughed and shook his head.

"I don't think Ryder will be caring what happens to you. I did a pretty good job filling his head with nonsense. I told him some pretty convincing lies about how you and Merrick were being a little more than friendly this morning, and he ate it all up."

My face fell and all traces of my smile were gone. So that was what was wrong with him. The lack of trust hurt, but Warren had been his best friend for years and he'd only known me for two days. Could I really blame him? No, but the lack of trust still pained my heart. I would never doubt him like that.

Confident, I remarked, "Someone will come looking for me. I have no doubt."

"They can try, but once we reach the Black Forest it'll be a hopeless attempt. My master has been waiting for you a long time, and he's not going to let you go without a fight," Warren insisted.

How are my people going to save me in the Black Forest? I needed to find out as much as I could because if no one could save me, I had to save myself.

"Who is this master you speak of?" I asked.

"You'll meet him tomorrow, but if you want to know, he was the sole survivor of the war between the sorcerers a century ago. His name is Alasdair and he's been building his army and his power slowly during his time in the Black Forest. He needs your power to speed things along."

"What can my power do?"

The more I knew the better chance I have of thwarting this sorcerer's plans.

"He needs your power to help fulfill his. You are the beginning of The Four, and he must start with you. I'm sure he'll explain everything." Warren motioned to the food impatiently. "You need to eat. We have a long day of travelling tomorrow and the master doesn't want you starved." Before he turned to walk away, he gazed my body up and down and smiled. "The master will love you in that dress." Disgusted, I scoffed and flipped him off. Warren simply winked and walked out of the room, locking the door behind him.

Tearing the dress off, I put on the robe that I was wearing before I put the dress on. I made my way over to the food and pulled off the cover. What I found surprised me. On the plate was a mound of spaghetti, a bowl of salad with ranch dressing, and garlic bread. How did Warren know this was my favorite?

As much as I wanted to eat it, I didn't. My body was tired and my eyes started to feel heavy. I felt weak from malnourishment, but I couldn't bring myself to eat the food. If I wasn't going to eat, the only thing I could think of to do to get energy back was to try and get some sleep.

I laid there for what felt like an eternity knowing very well I wouldn't be able to fall asleep, but then I sensed a pull dragging me down into blackness. My eyelids grew heavier and heavier to the point where I couldn't fight it anymore. The first thing I heard as I was falling under was the sound of Ryder's voice.

"Calista."