Chapter 1

Ariel's POV

This is it. The first day of school. A new life, maybe? I put on my best outfit: a collared blouse and jeans. This is kind of my favourite outfit as it is simple and not too extreme. I didn't want it to seem as though I put in too much effort into what I wear. What can I say? I must give a good first impression right?

I bid my mother goodbye and headed out. Fortunately for me, the school is just a walk away from home. And being early was definitely not my thing. I felt so cheery at the moment, like the beginning of a movie where everything seems so perfect. And then things happen which will spoil the day. Let's just hope the same thing won't happen to me.

I paused in front of the school gate and was greeted by a security guard. Then some other students came in. Some were still with their parents. Not in a car, but on a bike. Some people just don't grow up.

I saw some other students walking in with maps in their hands. Is the school that big? Of course it looked huge but was a map necessary? Then some people came into the school in groups and I assumed they were seniors. The guys look so tall as compared to little me. The girls were not as tall but still they tower over me.

I headed up to the hall and sat behind a girl in the first row. She turned and rolled her eyes as soon as she saw me. I guess not everyone is friendly on the first day of school. I managed to catch her name on the name tag though. Rebecca.

Something tells me she won't be making many friends any time soon. Maybe it's how she dresses herself. She's wearing a black shirt under a short blue jacket. She also wears a red mini skirt and...heels?! Who wears heels to school? Wealth was plastered all over her. There is a bling in everything she wears. I think there's some glitter in her hair too.

Not long after, a guy comes. I didn't get to see his face as he immediately sat next to me. It would be awkward to suddenly turn and have my whole view blocked by a face. So I simply looked the other direction. I managed to catch a glimpse of what he was wearing: t-shirt and shorts.

I assumed he looked like David Bekham. Or at least one of his sons (if you don't know who they are, believe me they are gorgeous). He was panting as if he had just ran a whole marathon, which he probably was because of his attire. Then he suddenly turned to me and asked, "Do you have a tissue? A towel or anything?"

As a matter of fact, I do. I have this sickness of having to sneeze every morning. Fortunately, today I was cold free which means I was able to lend it to this stranger. But that would mean actually seeing his face. No more David Bekham. Just facing the truth.

What I saw was so unexpected. He was nothing at all like David Bekham. Or his sons. He was literally the total opposite! His hair is dark black, he wears glasses and he wasn't even a soccer player. He was a dancer. I have no idea how I mistaken tights as shorts. I must have imagined being next to David Bekham.

Whoever he was, I was not going to lend him my towel. But imaginative old me decided to take it out even before looking at the person himself. Which meant there was no way of lying my way out of this one. So I gave him the towel, not intending to get it back.

He accepted it and wiped his sweat off. Yup. I'm definitely not getting it back. He then promised to return it some time in the foreseeable future. Then he asked my name.

"I'm Ariel" I said.

"I'm Jake" he said and reached his hand out. I didn't want to take it but I figured this was the only way to make friends.

Okay, so it wasn't as sweaty as I thought it would be. But I took precautions and wiped my palm on my jeans when he wasn't looking, just in case he has any form of disease or whatsoever.

It wasn't so bad. But for some reason, I felt that Rebecca was watching us.