Part 2

August 2nd: Well, I have just met the queen! Magnificent being, she is! After breakfast, another girl came to my room (this one called Farida. I have made it my business to know all their names. The ones of yesterday were Aisha and Salima. I wonder when I shall get to meet Yasmin? Not that I paid heed to the stable man's words, I was just curious) and led me through a passageway with brown oaken doors on each side and a woman guarding each. They were clad in figure-hugging, sequined bras and ankle-length skirts that clung to their hips at the top. They would surely be deemed coquettish if they walked on the streets of London in their wonderful attire! After a few minutes of walking- it was quite a long passageway! " we finally entered a spacious circular room and I coughed at the stifling smell of burning incense. I wryly thought of my mother and her favorite saying: too much of everything is not good! Though a pleasant scent, I felt dizzy at its excessive use. More scantily clad women were here; some laid out a long table full of dishes I don't think I've ever seen. On a golden throne sat an exotic looking woman, with dark, flowing tresses. On either side of her were ladies that fanned her unceasingly. Queen Leilah stood when I entered the room and I really hope she didn't notice how I stared. I'd never seen anything so...gorgeous! It was almost inhumane. She walked towards me in a graceful and elegant fashion as if she were about to break into dance. She was dressed in a similar manner as the others I'd seen here, exposing her toned middle area. However, she was adorned in the finest jewelries, with several gold belly chains on her waist and even more golden necklaces on her neckline. Her eyes were dark charcoals that I felt burnt deep within me and her lips, pale pink and voluptuous. I do not in any way wish to exaggerate her appearance though I feel I have in some way underestimated her finery. I shall settle, however, for what I have written. With an elegant bow, the queen of the Temple Of Askar took my hand and led me to a rectangular glass table that had been laid with all kinds of assorted dishes and wines.

"Welcome to the land of Egypt and the Temple of Askar, Mr. Hines. I trust your first night was enjoyable?" Her voice was musical to the ear and her English great but I couldn't help but notice that her tongue seemed to linger on words that contained the letter 's' so that she seemed to make a hissing sound.

"Ah, yes." I replied, taking my seat which was drawn for me by one of her female subjects. "I must thank you for your hospitality." I mirrored her actions, choosing from the variety of foods and putting them on my plate.

"Oh, do not worry," she waved her hand as if averting a fly. "Your sponsors pay us handsomely for our hospitality. How long do you intend to stay?"

"A month at the most. That is the duration I have been given to finalize my findings here."

"Ah, so you will be here for our annual festival!" she said with a cheerful smile. "I'm sure you will have a lot to learn then, Mr. Hines. The Festival of Life has been held since ancient times and this year shall be no exception! You will join us, will you not, sir?"

"Certainly! I'd be more than delighted to."

She laughed, a sound like birdsong, and with lean, long fingers took a sip of red wine without once releasing me from her gaze. As I stared deep into her eyes, I thought I saw a flicker of something...indescribable and sinister but it disappeared as soon as it'd come so I wrote it off as mere imagination. Halfway through the meal, trilling music began. This was much different to the ones I hear on my occasional visits to the Opera. Soft at first, its unassuming sweetness was like rain on a scorching day. I welcomed it wholeheartedly. Five ladies of equal height, coloring and beauty took places before us and with never-ending tresses that fell down their backs like a waterfall began strong, fluid movements much akin to that of a snake. Swiftly, the decibels of the slow music I had become accustomed to became an octave higher and without effort on the part of the dancers, the dance became much quicker and more energetic, every movement in tune to the beating drums. It was as though they themselves directed the drummer's hands. I am not ashamed to say that I was mesmerized as my eyes followed every hip and arm movement. I felt as if the drums themselves had found their way into me and flooded my very soul. I was all ears and all eyes and, as the queen later pointed out, all mouth.