Naplian's Potion Part 8: The Cure

The Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding lunch at the pub, and the pints of beer I drank made me tired. Jame's questioned me about my life. "So are you still alone after I last met you?"

"Yes. living alone is not too bad and seeing the kids now and then helps."

"You seemed to be interested in these two unfortunate kids."

"I want them to get better and I hope they do."

"There's no chance of that, Alan. I wish there was a faint hope, but there isn't. As a doctor, I have to be realistic, unless there's some magic out there to save them."

I laughed inwardly when he said that, knowing that my magic on them might just work.

After bidding farewell to James, I headed home. As soon as I sat on the living room couch, a weariness overwhelmed me and I drifted into a deep sleep. I don't know how long I slept, but the sound of the phone blaring jerked me awake. "Alan, you won't believe what I'm about to tell you," said James.

"What?"

"We took the dialyzer machine off Timmy. Apparently his diseased kidney is cured. On top of that Alice regained consciousness. We'll be doing an x-ray on her this evening. We suspect her spinal fracture has healed as she was able to move her body. It is incredible."

"Wow, I'm really happy. That's great news, James."

"The press got a hold of the news, perhaps from their parents. They'll be doing a TV news feature on this miracle tonight on CBC."

"I'll tune in and see the famous Dr. James Barnaby charm the audience."

"I shouldn't get any credit for this. I mean I didn't give them any additional treatment after you saw them that would have cured them."

I had to make James think he was responsible for the cure. I didn't want any suspicion that my visit might have had something to do with this miracle.

"James, it could be the past treatment you gave the kids had something to do with it."

"Come to think of it, we gave Timmy a new drug a few weeks before. Alice was also given a special injection a few days before your visit. The drug manufacturers will get the glory and the sale of their product will hit the roof."

I relaxed, knowing that the kids' cure and the connection to me was remote. I was in the clear so Naplian, and his magic potion can continue to be a secret.

The news of this miracle on CBC that night made me cry with joy, especially when I saw Timmy and Alice walking around the hospital ward. Their smile and their rosy and healthy faces were in such sharp contrast to the darkness that pervaded them when I visited the kids at lunch time.

I felt a power and surge of energy at that moment. The drive and determined resolve to better my fellow man became an obsession.

Tomorrow, I'd know whether Sue would win the lottery. If that happened, I'd have no doubts about the special gift Naplian gave me.