02 | PULLING A 'PERCY' AND CAMPS MADE FOR THE SPECIAL

last edited on
12.30.15

I wanted answers.

I wanted answers really bad, so I decided to go with Farkle, and we hopped on the subway station, heading over to my house, or as Farkle calls it 'a castle'.

"So what were those things? Empousais? Is that what you called them?" I asked aloud, while we were sitting in the middle, surrounded by New Yorkers, who were on the phone or reading a newspaper. Farkle looked alerted and put his hand to my mouth, saying 'shhhhh!' and looked around to see if anyone heard.

"Don't say it out loud!" Farkle scolded me, I raised my hands up in surrender. "Names have power." Farkle told me and I made a mental reminder to have Farkle visit a psychologist later on.

I laughed loudly, earning some looks from nearby passengers, some looking very annoyed. "So what? If I say empousai over and over again they could appear?" I asked. Farkle nodded slowly.

I still didn't believe this was real so I decided to be a daredevil and say it. "Well in that case... Empousai, empousai, empousai." Farkle glared at me, smacking my arm lightly, I rubbed my shoulder.

"I swear to gods Maya, if they catch us, it's all on you." He mutters and I snort.

"Farkle," I started, and He looked at me expectedly and waited for me to continue. "You are absolutely delusional. Monsters are part of our imagination. I don't know. Maybe you're just on drugs. What is it? Coke? Marijuana?" I grabbed him by his shoulders and made him look at me dead in the eye.

"No Maya, I am not on drugs. If you just come with me, I will explain everything on the way to camp," Farkle whispered, and I thought for a second. A camp? Is he serious? How is a camp supposed to protect me?

"Alright." I agreed, and he sighed and shoved his bronze pointy knife back in to his backpack, relaxing a little bit.

"Can't they see that a sixteen year old has a knife?" I asked him. If I didn't know Farkle personally, I would've called the cops by now. Who on earth carries that huge knife and let's everyone see it?

"The mist," Farkle replied.

"Oh. Right. Of course." I answered sarcastically.

"Yes. It's a invisible magic veil. Basically mortals can't see what we see, like the monsters or our weapons. Well only some mortals can see it. Like our oracle, Rachel." Farkle smartly replied, as if he explained this many times already.

"Who the heck is Rachel?" I asked another question. This was probably the thousandth question I have asked all day, and it was getting tiring honestly.

"I'll answer that later on." Farkle promised. My questions seemed to always be ignored. "Anyways, we're here, let's hurry up and walk to your castle."

We hopped off the subway and went to walk to my house. We crossed the streets, Farkle made us put our hoods on, just in case another monster could recognize, although I don't understand how that was helpful.

We sneaked to the back of the house, opening it with the spare key that was under the old welcome mat. We should've probably found a different place to hide the key, because that was probably the first place someone would look.