Untitled

A friend is someone who stays when the rest of the world walks out. This is what a quotation says. But someone I know doesn’t believe in this quote. Why? Dahil sa panahon na kinailangan niya ng kaibigan, lahat sila wala. At yun ang unang pagkakataong naakatagpo raw siya ng isang totoong kaibigan. Ako. Pero ang kaibigang kanyang tinuring na kaibigan ay may ibang nararamdaman para sa kanya. At ako din yun. Mahal ko siya, higit pa sa pagiging isang kaibigan. It all started at that faithful night of winter in Canada, under the bald maple tree.

          I was strolling down at the park nang makarinig ako ng kaluskos not far from me.

          “Anyone out there?” I called. And the noise hisses. Was that a snake? Gosh. If it is, I’d rather stay away. Pero lumapit pa rin ako. Ano ang gagawin ng isang ahas sa gitna ng lamig! Tanga, tanga ka talaga, Edrianna. Malapit na ako sa pinanggalingan ng kaluskos kanina, when I heard someone sobbing. I followed the sobbing sound. And it’s behind the full grown Maple tree. I peaked and surprised to see a guy on his knees and… Oh my gosh. He’s crying… Both of his hands on his face.

          I gently tapped his shoulder, “Hanky?” and I held out my Winnie the pooh handkerchief.

          He looked back and faced me. I was shocked to see his face as he accepts the handkerchief I offered. Shoot! Magang-maga na mga mata niya. Gaano na ba siya katagal umiiyak! “Thanks.” As he carefully wipes his tears off. Sumandal siya sa puno at dumausdos paupo. “Thank you.” He thanks me again. “Thank you.” And again. While he’s eyes are fixed on the ground.

          “Mind if I join you?” I politely ask. He nods. I sit in front of him. Naka-indian sit lang ako.

          “Have you ever been left alone by the ones you truly love? People whom you think will never ever leave you behind? Will never let you feel alone? People whom you owe your whole life to?” he says these between sobs. Gosh he’s in pain. Terrible pain. At first, I hesitated to ask but as I saw his tears falling from his eyes, landing on his closed fist knuckles, di na ako nagdalawang isip na tanungin siya. Though we do not know each other, in his state right now, he needs at least someone to talk to.

          “Family?” I ask peeking sa nakatungo niyang ulo. He looks up. And… Fishcakes! Gray eyes. Gray eyes filled with crystal tears. It pierce my heart. I can feel the pain just by looking in those big, bright, gray eyes. He meekly nods. Giving me the answer to my question. “Mind if you share your pain to a total stranger? You know I’m a good listener.”

          My heart flips when he smiled. A very painful smile. I don’t know why but I have the urge to hold his hands releasing them from his tight grip. And I did. Unconsciously.

          I’m holding his hands. Caressing the back of his hands gently. Just to help ease the pain. I smiled at him. An assuring smile. Telling him, go on. I’ll be here. He tightly grips my hand and started to speak.

          Shit! It is awful. If I’d be in his shoes. I’d die in regret and pain. What happened? A plane crash. Yes. And he’s the only one that survived. From what I heard in the news last night. Yes. It just happened. 2 days ago if I’m not mistaken. He was released from the hospital bago siya pumunta dito sa park para maglabas ng sama ng loob. In that plane he was with his whole family going home from a vacation and his barkada. All of them, taken away from him in an instant. When he woke up, no ones there to smile at him and say “Thank God, you’re okay.” He woke up in a plain white room with an IV in his side. A tray of food on the bedside table. No flowers. No everything.

          I’m not aware that I am also crying like hell. Still holding his hands. Siya, tinitingnan lang ang mga kamay ko na tinutuluan ng luha niya. Tumataas na talaga ang balikat niya dahil sa kakaiyak. Basang basa na rin ang mga kamay ko. Nararamdaman ko na rin ang ginaw. Hindi pa naman kasi gaano kakapal ang snow sa lupa. Kaya nakaupo pa kami.     And again, I consciously did something I shouldn’t have done. I wrapped him in a tight, warm hug. “Everything happens for a reason. I can’t tell you its ok because it will never be ok. Maybe God has His own reason for taking them back.”