Chapter 10

It wasn't too hard to avoid Opie at first. He didn't really notice, they didn't have constant contact since the breakup, but when Tuesday rolled around, he knew and she found it painfully difficult to continue.

"Tomorrow?" He texted her Tuesday afternoon in hopes of setting something up for the next day but Mae did not reply. "Everything alright?" Opie tried again a few hours later but Mae refused to answer.

With every text, her resolve weakened, but he finally gave up for the evening. Wednesday and Thursday were littered with a few messages, she replied once assuring him she and Grace were safe, but it wasn't until Opie showed up at her door Friday morning before work that conversation was forced.

"Ope," she had half a face of makeup on and spit up on her blouse. "Hey."

"What the hell is going on, Mae?" He forced his way into the house. "What happened to your hand?" He grabbed the cast and looked at her with fear and concern flashing in his emerald eyes. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she yanked her hand free. "It was stupid, I'm clumsy."

"Bill?"

"No."

"Don't lie to me." Their back and forth was sharp and brisk, neither missing a beat as they spoke pointedly.

"It wasn't Bill." She sneered. "Look, I'm sorry about Wednesday."

"If you're sorry then tell me what happened."

"I was mugged." She stuttered. "Some homeless addict I guess," she shrugged. "I'm fine."

Opie looked her over, she was exhausted, he could see it in her usually crystal eyes, now clouded by worry, but he didn't say anything.

"You go to the cops?"

"I did." She lied. "You know what," she turned and glanced at Grace in her swing. "Why don't you take Gracie for the weekend?"

"The whole weekend?" He was dumbfounded. "Are you high right now?"

"Never mind," she said defensively. "I thought you'd want to."

"No, I do," he said eagerly. "I do I'm just not sure where this is coming from. You're freaking me out."

"I trust you." She said plainly. "But if you take her to the clubhouse I'll hurt you, Ope, I mean it."

Rolling his eyes he nodded as his feet shuffled around beneath him. "Yeah, I know." Opie glanced over to look at Grace, anxiety suddenly flooding him at the idea of caring for her entirely alone for three days. "I'll uhh, get her later today?"

"Sure." Mae was already moving around the house again in an attempt to make up for the time she lost while talking to Opie. "Six?"

"Six works. I got some shit to do today anyway, not club shit, real shit." He nodded, watching her gather her things.

"Oh yeah?" Mae asked with a sly smile. "Like what? Buying life insurance?"

Opie grinned, she had no idea how close she was, but he shook his head. "I don't need it, so no." She smiled and nodded as she poured her coffee into a travel mug. "Don't forget to finish your makeup." Opie reminded her. "Not that you need that shit."

"You're sweet." Mae smiled. "If you need anything I'll be around so don't hesitate to call me okay?"

"Yep. Lucky I got that sleeper thing for her, huh?"

Mae nodded. "Very."

Seeing she was eyeing the clock Opie pressed his lips to her cheek then did the same to Grace before heading to the door. "Don't do that again, Mae. I was worried about both you girls."