Summer Snow

It was an early December morning. The dew from last night’s heavy fog glistened like a million diamonds in the early morning glare. I stared out my window into my view of the cityscape. The city was waking up. I only had a few more minutes before I had to repeat the mundane cycle which was my life.

I decided to get up early in hopes that it would make the day go by faster. I showered, brushed my teeth, ate a sumptuous breakfast which consisted of eggs, toast, mashed potatoes and some German sausage and afterwards began my daily walk to school. I got to school earlier than usual and there were only a few people around, none of them my friends. I sat in the school’s parking lot and watched as the students slowly came in.

I was just about to go in and look for my friends when something caught my eye. It was a girl. I’d never seen her before so I assumed she must have been a transferee. She was beautiful. Her blonde hair, pale complexion, and blue eyes stood out like a lighthouse in the middle of a storm. She was saying goodbye to her parents. I was just about to approach her when the school bus arrived and she was lost in the sea of people.

I went to my first class which was History and did my best to listen to my professor drone on about the Second World War but I couldn't. All I could think about was the mysterious girl I saw in the parking lot. I went through all my morning classes thinking about her.

Lunch came and I looked around the cafeteria hoping to see her again. My friends were deep in conversation about the football game last weekend so they didn’t really notice me constantly zoning out. Ten minutes ‘till classes resumed and there was still no sign of her. I’d given up hope and thought she might have just been someone’s cousin coming to visit when I saw her. She was alone on the other side of the room reading a book.

I couldn’t help but stare. She had me mesmerized. The way she delicately flipped the pages, the way she smiled at some joke written on the pages. It was all so beautiful. I had just decided to go talk to her when my friends noticed I was staring.

“Dude why do you keep staring at the new girl?”

“Huh? I wasn’t staring at her, I was just wondering who she was.”

“Yeah sure, we’ve been trying to talk to you for almost 5 minutes. You wouldn’t even look at us!”

“Oh really? Sorry.”

After that my friends just kept on pushing me to ask her out but I just kept telling them that I didn’t like her. Classes ended and I decided that I was gonna change my routine. I went to a café in front of the school to get a cup of coffee and work on a project. When I entered the café the smell of coffee and pastries washed over me and it made my mouth water. I bought a caramel macchiato and a cheesecake before I sat down to work on my project.

My body was pumped full of caffeine when she walked in. It felt as the entire place grew warmer with her presence. She took a seat a couple of table away from me. Just like earlier, she was alone. She pulled out a copy of Dante’s Inferno and was immediately engrossed in reading. I wanted to talk to her so bad but I didn’t know what to say. I was nervous and not many things could make me nervous.

I sat in my table staring at the remains of my cheesecake thinking of what I should say. Nothing would come to me but I just couldn’t stop myself and I got up and went over to her table.

“Hey I noticed you in school earlier. You’re new here right?” I said while trying to keep my voice as steady as possible.

“Um yeah, we just moved here last week.” She said in a voice as smooth as silk.

“Oh, hi I’m Jonathan.” I said nervously.

“I’m Melanie, it’s nice to meet you.” she said as she smiled and her eyes sparkled like stars in the night sky.

Her name was Melanie. The girl who managed to get into my head without so much as a smile. I was entranced.