prologue

AUBURN RAE

I've always liked Beau's Tattoo Shop.

I liked the chipped paint that unveiled the tattered state of the ruined walls.

I liked the smell of ink in the room.

I liked the constant replay of Greenday and The 1975 on the radio whenever I walked in to get a new tattoo.

Beau's Tattoo Shop was just fucking dank to me and I loved it more than anything...

Until December 3rd, 2015.

I walked into the tiny shop, the bell chiming happily above me.

The smell of paint relaxes me, and I feel the adrenaline soothe the knots in my stomach.

I was getting another tattoo, this time for my grandmother who's in the hospital, and I'm still so nervous.

It's my fifth one and I don't know why.

I trudge towards the counter and notice that Old Ted isn't there. Old Ted is the owner's son and my ex-boyfriend, but we're good now.

"Excuse me?" I poke my finger at a curly haired boy sitting back faced at the counter.

His head slightly turns at the contact.

"Oh."

A smirk tugs on his lips and I awkwardly step forward as he fully turns around. A Greenday muscle shirt droops over his tall frame, while a red bandana slacked around his head, taming his hair.

"I'm here for an appointment," I said.

He cocks his head to the side, the cocky grin on his lips still existent. "Name?"

"Auburn Rae," I reply hesitantly.

"I assumed it was, beautiful."

"Um..." I awkwardly chew on the inside of my mouth, "that's...cool?"

Is a guy actually flirting with me?

Today must be Opposite Day or something...or maybe he's just stoned.

He trails his finger along the wrecked page of the journal that was filled with smeared handwritten names in list form.

I tap my foot impatiently before he suddenly slams it shut.

"I'm afraid you're not scheduled in here," he happily smiles and shrugs his shoulders. "Whoops!"

I shake my head. "T-that's impossible, I-"

"You're scheduled to be in my bed."

The shock on my face couldn't be more palpable. My jaw nearly kissed the floor, while the numbness in my chest radiated down to my fingertips.

Did he actually...oh, God.

My face contorted into an angry scowl.

"I'm sorry, but last time I checked you never worked here." I cross my arms, "Who the hell are you?"

He just smirked and laughed heartily to himself.

I wanted nothing more than to slap the damn look off his face, but it was rude and I had just met him.

After awhile, he leaned in, tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, and told me a name I never knew I'd end up hating forever.

Basically, the entirety of my admiration for Beau's Tattoo Shop shifted, when they suddenly decided to hire

Ashton.

Fucking.

Irwin.