Chapter 1

Dan's POV

I flattened out a large area of the long, straw like grass and lay down. It seemed as if the sunset here in the field was the best thing I ever see anymore. Far better than anything at school. Better than the tormenting they gave me. I shut my eyes, so I could clear my mind, but the taste of blood in my mouth was distracting me. They had picked on me again today. When I say they, I mean the group of guys at school that beat me almost everyday. They hadn't hurt me badly today, but my lip had split and bled quite a bit.

I began to open my eyes again, just as my eye cought someone racing toward me, and they tripped over me, toppling down on my stomach. I gasped for air, and pushed them off of me.

"Ow!" I said, rubbing my ribs. I looked up at the person that was now crouching down in the long grass next to me.

"Shh, there after me," the guy said frightened as his eyes darted around the field we were in.

I followed his eyes, and spotted them. The same ones that were always after me. "Stay down, and be quiet." I whispered to him, and we both lay on the grass.

"Faggot, we'll find you!" I heard Eric, the leader of the group call out.

Faggot. I had been called that so many times. The word made me flinch, and sometimes, I would try to deny what I was. A faggot. They didn't really know that I was gay, but they called me it for the fun of it.

I watched as they all ran out of the field, giving up trying to find him. Him. Who is he? I looked at him, and he was facing me. I know him. I know those eyes. Those blue eyes.

"Dan?" He asked, recognizing me.

"Phil?" I did remember him. He goes to school with me. Never had I actually talked to him, but I had seen him going to classes and at lunch. But he was always alone.

"Are they gone?" He asked, horrifyingly looking around.

"Yah, I think so." I replied.

"Are you okay?" I asked.