First Glimpse

Silent screams, useless struggles, heart racing and eyes wide open. It was another nightmare, the same one that she has had ever since the accident a year ago. She could remember everything so clearly, so vividly, as if watching the same movie over and over again or listening to a broken record playing. Every minute detail is in her head. The joyous laughter, the glorious smiles, the sincere emotions, slipped away from her fingertips. Tired and weary from yet another sleepless night, she cautiously got up from the comfort of her bed and approached the open window overlooking the vast manor that she now calls home. The calmness of the trees and the cool breeze of the crisp, early morning air, reminded her of everything that she once had. It happened on an early December evening, cold but tolerable. 

They were on their way to the anniversary party that she had planned for her parents. She could still recall the happiness and the love that they had once shared. They were running late and decided to take a short trip through the neglected road on the other side of the inner state. The air smelled of fresh pine trees and a song from The Carpenters was playing on the radio. She was leaning forward form the backseat of the vehicle and was goofing around like a child. She playfully called on to her father for no apparent reason and that was when she saw the uncontrolled truck coming towards them. Her dad was looking at her as she froze with terror on her face and was about to turn his head back to face the road. But before he could see the truck, it was too late. Glass shards began to scatter rapidly and splattered all over, leaving wounds that would change her life forever. Everything else was a blur. She had lost consciousness after banging her head against the remains of the car window. She felt trapped inside a whirlwind. The sound of panic never left her soul but she couldn’t do anything about it for she was trapped. It was out of her control. She just laid there in the midst of darkness and waited for help to come.

The silent whispers of the physicians and nurses and the sound of havoc in the emergency room was all clear to her. Everyone was rushing. She wanted to wake up, to check on her parent but she couldn’t move a muscle nor could she scream. It was as if she was a prisoner of her own body, her own flesh. There was a throbbing pain in her limbs, one that she could not simply ignore. She could feel gentle hands mending the severe wounds that she has suffered. Panic once again took control of her system. Her throat felt dry and she could feel the iciness of her being. But the feel of what felt like an ointment against her skin was rejuvenating. All the bustling around her finally seized and alas, she was brought to a private room. There she could enjoy the peacefulness and the serenity of the place which caused her to relax and fall into a deep slumber.

She woke up to the sound of her grandmother’s lullaby. It was the song that her mother always sung to her. The first thing that she saw when she opened her blue eyes was the smile on her grandma’s face. It was beautiful like the smile of an angel. Impatiently, she asked,

“Where’s Mom and Dad? I don’t remember what happened to them. Are they okay?”

Her Grandmother didn’t answer. Instead, she continued to stroke her granddaughter’s hair until tears started to form at the corners of her eyes. It was then that she realized what had happened. She wanted to get up, to find her parents, and to make sure that they were fine, that they were safe but she couldn’t for a lot of different tubes were attached to her body and the medications weakened her. She screamed and fought against the constraining arms that held her until she once again fell asleep.

Her name is Cassandra Alexi Hastings, and she is a victim.