Chapter 1

Moonlight shivered, not from the snow seeping into her pelt, but from the chilling events that had transpired within the past few days. Her stomach growled loudly, jolting her from her disturbing thoughts- a cycle she had become more accustomed to than she ever imagined. Her pelt was soaked and she was freezing from the cold winter storm.

"Is anyone out there?" The weary cat called hopelessly into the night. As always, no one responded. Perhaps it's best this way...  I don't know what I might find here. Her eyelids drooped and she was suddenly reminded of how exhausted she was. Her eyes rapidly darted around, searching for shelter. There! I could rest there! The black cat forced her tired limbs to move towards a small cluster of bushes that would protect her from the raging blizzard she had been caught in.

She pushed her scrawny body through the sharp branches that poked at her skin until she found a somewhat sheltered, albeit uncomfortable, space to rest. Curling up as well as she could in the confining branches, she drifted into an unrestful slumber.

"Moonlight! Moonlight! Wake up, this is important!" I groggily opened my eyes and sat up, looking at my blurry friend

"What is it?" I asked, panic rising in my stomach from my friend's disturbed voice.

"Just follow me!" She led me out of my sheltered den and stopped and stared at something. A patch of color on the ground came into my view, my family and friends seemed to melt in beside it.

They were all staring at me.

"Why are you all looking I me like that...?"

Moonlight awoke with a start, her heart pounding in her chest. She flinched as a branch tugged at her fur, and allowed a shaky breath to escape her dry mouth.

Ignore it.

She exited her warm bush, heart beating less rapidly.

Forget it.

The storm from yesterday had lessened into a light snowfall.

I'm okay.

She was lying.

___
Author's note:

My devices have been having trouble syncing up properly, so please tell me if the ending is written strangely. Thank you!