Chapter One

Tempted.

Chapter One

Today was my first day of school, 8th grade. I was nervous, mostly because I just moved to a different town. Of course, I lost some friends, but I only had a few - a maximum of five or so. Those few friends I did have I'd only be able to talk to through social networking sites, like Facebook. After all, I had just moved from Germany.  

All I could think of was the criticism I'd receive from those who didn't even know me. My English wasn't the greatest, and my speech barely audible to most my age in this place. Why wouldn't someone just love to point out such flaws? Back in Germany, I wasn't popular, as already established. It's not because I'm an awful person or due to my appearance. Actually, I looked like most girls in the school. Brown hair, blue eyes. Pretty simple. 

It was a little after six when my mother drove me to school. School starts at eight, and even though it took a while to get there, I'd still be pretty early. When she dropped me off, the parking lot was practically empty. As my eyes gazed across it, one car had caught my eye. A lime green Volkswagen Beetle. I absolutely loved those cute little cars. I'm sure people wouldn't like them so much if they knew their history. Those cute, innocent looking things were actually invented under the urging of the one, the only, Adolf Hitler. He said something like he wanted there to be a car that was "affordable and for most families." 

I guess Jewish families weren't included.  

As I neared the doors that greeted me into the building, I began to walk at a little slower pace. It was barely seven, and I'd have about an hour to waste time. I walked in, and looked around. A massive cafeteria was the first thing to be seen. I could only image the things that have taken place there. I didn't want to, actually.  

I walked by the main office, where a map of the building was hung up. I examined it, looking for the library. The library seemed like my best opinion for something to do. But really, when it's your first day of school in a foreign country, chances are you won't want to do much but be alone. The library was on the second floor, which didn't seem to be very hard to get to. I walked up the stairs, careful not to fall as I had many times before in my life. As I reached the hall, I went to turn left for my destination. I almost ran into a man, the most gorgeous man I've seen yet in this country. He had stunning brown eyes that complimented his dark brown hair that fell in short curls around his head. He was wearing a button down dressy shirt that matched his good looks perfectly. My heart stopped. Maybe a new school wasn't such a bad thing after all? 

"Oh, sorry," he said in a kind, gentle voice as he took a step back. He smiled. I felt my face redden. I wanted to say 'No, you're fine,' but I couldn't force the words out of my mouth.  

"I haven't seen you around here, are you a new student?"  

English had left my mind.  

"Um, ja." I said quietly, only barely audible.  

He stuck out his hand, and shook mine firmly. "I'm Mr. Vasquez. What grade are you in?" 

"Eighth." 

"Ah, then I'm your English teacher. Nice to meet you... What's your name?" 

I slightly laughed at the irony of the first teacher I had met being an English teacher. He didn't seem to notice.  

"Um," I started; I almost forgot my own name.

"Julia Kraus," I said, my accent shown through.  

"Are you German?" He asked.  

I nodded, and then said, "My family and I had moved here very recently. I apologize if my English is not very good."  

"I can help with that." He said, as his eyes locked with mine as he smiled. I blushed. My eyes lowered to the floor.