Chapter Seven: The Fourth

So the dinner the other other night with my family wasn't the best but it also wasn't the worst.

Right now me and Justin are taking things slow, but my parents don't know that. Of course I had to tell the girls what happened, I had called all of them the day after. They were shocked and speechless on how Justin acted towards me, but I told them that I like him a lot and of course Ramona wasn't going to stand for that, but Marcella and Tallulah had mixed feelings about it.

Today is the Fourth of July and my parents decided to have a barbecue and are inviting my nana and papa, their friends, and all of the girls are coming. Our first fourth of July weekend here at the new house, well technically new, it's been a month since we moved in.

                                                                                            ****

I was downstairs eating a bowl of cereal at two in the afternoon, while my mom was writing a list for the things that she needed to get at the store.

"What time is everybody coming over?"

"At 3:30."

My mom was still writing things down on the paper.

"Mom what do you think about Justin?"

"He's a nice guy."

"Does it bother you that he has a criminal record?"

"Casey everybody has done something in their life and if they had a purpose for doing it then that's what their choice was."

I stirred my cereal around and thought some more.

"Mom I like him, a lot."

Then she looked up at me.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Hoeny, I don't know if it is or not."

"Mom you know me, when I hear what people have gone through, I like to give them a chance and be nice to them..."

"Casey as long as he has left his past behind him, then it's okay, just be smart about this and just please be careful."

"Don't worry I will."

"Speaking of Justin, why don't you invite him over for the barbecue tonight."

"He's probably going to be busy."

"It wouldn't hurt to try now would it..." Holly said.

She then put the list in her purse and looked up at me.

"Plus you can invite his mom too."

"I guess I'll give it a try."

"Good. Okay I'm going to the store to buy the rest of the stuff for the barbecue and your dad went to go see if they still had some fireworks at one of the firework stands, so who knows when he'll be back."

She got her keys out of her purse and started to walk out.

"I'll be back in a little bit don't answer the door to anyone unless you know who it is."

"Oh my god Mom I know!"

Then I heard the door close.

I finished my bowl of cereal then got up to wash it, once I was done doing that I went upstairs to change. I got a pair of white shorts and a dark blue tank top to wear then changed. After I did I put my hair in a ponytail and slipped my sandals on. I decided to text Justin about tonight but then thought that I could just go walk to his house like he does when he comes over here. I grabbed my keys and went downstairs, as I got to the bottom I checked my phone to see if I had any messages from one of the girls and I didn't. I unlocked the door and stepped out and closed the door. I started walking down the sidewalk, it was sunny and hot and not even a slight breeze in the air.