Chapter 23 - Elroy

Chapter 23

Elroy

          The second I got the call, I knew something was wrong. “Hey Elroy, I can’t make it to work today.” It was Emily.

          “What’s the matter?”

          “Did you see the news last night?”

          She was being very vague and it was starting to worry me. “No I missed it. What’s wrong?”

          “Brother,” I knew something was terribly wrong because she only ever called me brother when she was scared, “Lola has been kidnapped.”

          “I’m coming over.” With that I hung up and hopped in my car. On my way out I grabbed a new container of ice cream and two spoons.

          When I got there I let myself in. I found her in her bedroom crying in the dark. I started by opening the curtains to let in some sunshine. It had  been rainy for the past few days and the sun would help to cheer her up. “I brought you comfort food.”

          “Thanks.” She said, sniffling. Then she told me exactly what happened.

          “TWO MILLION?!?”

          “Yeah.” She sounded so far away and small, almost like I was hearing her through a layer of glass that sat between us.

          “I’ll do whatever I can to help you. I have $200,000 in my savings. It is as good as yours.”

          “I can’t ask you to do that. She is my daughter and it is my responsibility.”

          “Well she is my niece, it is my money, you are my sister, and I want to.”

          “Thank you.”

          Thank you never seems to say enough, but the look in her eyes when she said it was thank you enough.