The Demon Inside

Myths and legends are one of the things I live to study. Whenever someone reports a sighting, I'm there. But one of the things I refuse to believe in: Vampires.

About 10 years ago, when I was 6, I saw someone stand in my window. They were pale and dark looking. It seemed like evil was at my window. I stared into it's eyes and suddenly wanted it to come inside. Like he was controlling my thoughts. He got inside my head and mysteriously got me to walk over and open my window. He grabbed my wrist and put it up to his mouth as his eyes turned bright red and he motioned his jaw in a way as almost biting it. My mother called for dinner and I looked away, at my door. When I turned to face the strange man who had a taste for me, he was gone. I shook my head and went downstairs to eat dinner. Ever since then I wanted to study creatures of other worlds. They exist I know they do. But I refuse to believe that that night, I was standing on my own grave as a man almost bit my arm, taking the beat from my heart and the air from my lungs. That is how I stand here today, spending my life in my studies. Not in college, but as a woman who gets paid to do what she loves. Help others with their experiences like that night I had as a small child. Knowing that one day, I might see that man once more, having never forgotten the pale, sunken face of the dead man on my windowsill.