Chapter 1

The gray-haired man in a tailored suit squared his shoulders and stared over the oak podium. "And now, ladies and gentlemen, we've come to the highlight of today's auction. The final piece up for bidding is a rare one, indeed." He looked to his right, where two men in work overalls brought forward a large, rectangular frame. It was at least two meters tall and one meter wide, and it encased the object of his excitement.

"As you can see, this is a full-body portrait of Arthur of Camelot manufactured by the Royal Windsor Tapestry Company between 1881 and 1885. Designed by Dante Gabriel Rosetti, it is made of cotton and silk, and it's been preserved in a remarkable condition." He paused to let the audience sitting in the grand room take in the information. "While originally part of a two-piece set, this item is the only one up for sale today. It comes to us from an anonymous seller, and bidding on it will start at two-thousand Pounds."

A numbered paddle quickly shot up from the second row.

"Ooh, Lady Ashcroft has a thing for King Arthur," quietly quipped the petite woman in a designer headscarf standing by the back wall.

The leggy blonde next to her playfully slapped her arm. "Stop, Noor." She eyed the old woman in the enormous pink fascinator and giggled, before the smartphone in her hand began to vibrate. After glancing at the screen, her expression turned to a frown, and she dismissed the call.

"Is that Bradley again?" Noor asked, and her friend nodded just as the auctioneer took over again.

"We now have a bid for three-thousand Pounds from the gentleman on my left." He pointed several rows up from the watching women, but the packed audience blocked their view.

"What's going on with you two?" Noor whispered without taking her eyes off the action. "Is he being weird again?"

The blonde sighed. "I suppose . . . if you call proposing being weird."

Noor's head snapped toward her friend. Her brown eyes were even larger than usual, and she shook from excitement. "Lucy! Why didn't you tell me you're getting married? Congratula-"

"I said no," Lucy stated flatly, taking a pill bottle from her pocket. Unscrewing the top with a shaky hand, she popped a small, white cylinder into her mouth and swallowed.

"The lady has raised the bid to five thousand. Do I hear seven and a half?" Interest in the artwork continued to escalate.

Lucy's phone pinged as a text message arrived. Dinner tonight?

"What do you mean you said no?" Noor asked, looking on as Lucy typed a response.

At work. Will talk later.

She sighed and lowered the device. "What?" She shook her head, regaining her focus. "Oh. Right. Long story. Can we just . . . ?" Lucy trailed off, nodding toward the auction where the anonymous man had just accepted the bid.

"We're now at seven and a half thousand. Will we make it a round ten?" The auctioneer glanced toward Lady Ashcroft and her pink fascinator. The woman leaned over to her companion, appearing to discuss her options.

Another text arrived on Lucy's phone. Will pick up tandoori. See you at 6.

Lucy gritted her teeth and squeezed the phone so hard her fingers turned white.

"Who do you think they belong to?" Noor nudged her friend.

"What?" Lucy absent-mindedly began typing. No. Must work late. Will call you.