Chapter 18| Task 3: Snow Maze

Anna's POV

I woke up feeling dull and tired as hell. But then, I realized that I had being woken up because someone was shaking my shoulder. My mattress felt slightly uneven and I looked up, and saw the face of Derek.

"Huh?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. "What happened?"

"Long story." He said with a friendly smirk.

"Is everyone okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "You probably have short term amnesia." He said.

It was true, I only remembered a few things. "What about the tests?" I added.

"To sum it up, the tests didn't work on you and I." He began. "But it's okay now. Don't worry."

A long pause began, and he stared at me with those lifeless gray eyes; as if all the color had been sucked out of them.

"What?" I interrupted the silence and gave a fake slight smile. "What's with the staring?" I chuckled.

"Nothing." He said looking away. He stood up and headed towards the door.

I ignored the thoughts and stood up to get ready.

"Just thinking about how shitty it must feel to be you." He concluded.

I smiled flatly, pursing my lips. And he left.

Again, I ignored the thought and got ready.

*****

"Three." The speaker started counting down.

"Two." I looked wildly at my surroundings. Although it was just a vast big white room and four people. Derek, and I remembered about earlier. Dylan, determined. Lisa, aware, and Drew expectantly.

"One." The clear voice called, and a cold shiver froze my body.

Snow circled in cycling directions. And in the blink of an eye, a snow storm covered the room. I squinted at the distance and saw four silhouettes. They're okay, I thought. The minuscule pieces of ice burned my face, and then, walls rose up from the floor again. They were built in a complex way like...like a maze. A snow maze to be precise. 

"Find a way out." The speaker said coldly.

I knew that this would take me forever, taking in mind the freezing cold, and that I was alone. Either way, I began running.

*****

The ivy on the walls were intertwined in tangled ways; the leaves kissed by frost.

I had being running for maybe an hour. My muscles were sore, my fingertips were numb and cold, and my chest quivered every now and then. As I ran, I couldn't bear the hair in my face, and I remembered the hairband around my wrist. I then pulled my hair up into a ponytail. It felt so much better, and the small amount of sweat collected at the back of my neck, eased and dried.

I picked my pace up again, and began running through the complex walls.

After a couple of minutes of non-stop running, I bumped into something and fell flat on the floor.