Prologue

Claire woke up and looked out of her frozen bedroom window. The frost shaded her eyes from the bright morning sun. The avid child swung her bedroom door open, and within a flash, she was out in the fluffy white snow jumping around and enjoying winter with the neighbor girls. But Claire should have enjoyed the winter breeze, the frost falling upon her nose, for in just a few years the fluffy white snow would not be white anymore; it would be red.
While Claire was enjoying the fallen winter snow, her little sister Jane decided to tag along with the girls while they sled up and down the snow capped hills. Jane, only two years old, ran after the sled, which was sliding down one of the hills. She tripped going down the icy hill, and got knocked out by a sharp pointy rock.
Jane lay in the hospital bed for weeks, never opening her frost tipped eyes. She never awoke. Claire did not know it then, but in the end this ended up being a very good thing.

The worst part of the tragic was that I was only of age four, and I did not even understand what death was yet.
      My father was a busy man. He was almost never home; off at some conference or business trip. For the millionth time, he said good bye and drove off into the cold dark ice rink land. But I did not know that that would be the last time I would ever hear my father's sweet voice again.
      The only part I remember was my mother's voice, her considerate smile, and her temporary tears dripping down her pitiful face.
      Bending down on one knee, and putting her soft fingertips on my shoulder, her gentle voice began to speak, "Listen to me, Corey. Your daddy" she paused for a moment, "He wrecked into another car and he got" uh, "hurt. He got hurt badly, and we can't see him for a long time." Her eyes trailed off towards the end.
      By the time I had thought of something to say, my mother had walked off and was talking in murmurs under her breath.
      Eight months time passed before I figured out that that was a complete lie. For days on end I sat up in my now black colored room and thought of what I could of done differently, or do to stop my father from going out into the night. I did not know it then, but in the end this ended up being a very good thing.

Chapter 1 has been released. It was released on October 14, 2015.