Chapter four

The next morning, I set my bag down and plopping down in my seat. I sat there for a few minutes, waiting for James to say something.

After a few minutes of just sitting there, he finally peered up at me. “Based on what you’re wearing and how late you are, you just rolled out of bed.”

I sighed. “I know you probably don’t care, but I really am sorry.”

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. “Look, I know you’re not too happy about having to do this, especially with me and believe me, I’m not too happy about it either. You need to make an effort at least.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “I am making a fucking effort. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t even be here at all.”

“Well then you need to try harder, cause showing up here late and skipping all your classes, is not going to work.”

“Maybe I’m not in the mood to go to my classes, have you ever thought of that!” I challenged.

He rolled his eyes. “Oh yes, because your life is so hard.”

I shook my head. Once again, he was judging me and treating me like dirt.

“You and I both know why you are actually late. You went to some party, got drunk, or you hooked up with someone.”

Tear of rage clouded my eyes. I quickly blinked them back so he wouldn’t see. “For your information, I was home last night, I didn’t do anything last night.”

He scoffed. “Yeah right, and I was in outer space, Sarah.” he said sarcastically. “Stop lying ok.”

I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down.

“You are right about something though.” he said.

“What.” I sighed.

“You don’t need to have an education, since you’re probably going to be a prostitute when you get older.

My eyes flew open. He did not just call me a prostitute. “I am not a fucking prostitute!” I yelled.

“You might as well be!” He yelled right back.

Tears started to fall down my cheeks. I was so goddamn tired of people calling me a slut and a whore. Guilt flashed through his features. “Sarah, I-“

“No, don’t.” I said, standing up. “You’re right, everyone’s right.” I whispered.

I walked away. I could hear James yelling at me to come back, but it didn’t matter. I was so done.

When I got home, I automatically called Megan.

“Why aren’t you at school?” she asked.

“Doesn’t matter. I need you to call everyone and tell them that I’m having a party at my place.” I said emotionless.

“Is everything ok, Sarah?” she asked, concerned.

“Yes, I’m fine. Tell everyone now and come over after school. Steal some of your mom’s  liquor too.”

She sighed. “Fine, see you then.”

After I got off of the phone with her, I hurried upstairs and changed out of my baggy clothes. Despite how depressed I felt, I wanted to look good. I decided on a short black dress and some black heels to go with it. I walked into my bathroom and curled my hair a little so it was wavy and put my black eyeliner and mascara on.

By the time I was done, it was five o'clock and the doorbell was ringing. I hurried down the stairs and saw Megan standing in the living room in a short white dress and bags in her hands. “About time you came over.” I said.