Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"Let's get him!" Tod shouted.

"Watch out," Mike cautioned. "He's got a club."

"That's okay," Tod said, his eyes narrowed to slits. "We can handle that."

"Wait," Ned said. "I think he just wants to talk."

But Tod and Mike ignored Ned and advanced threateningly toward Max.

"Hold on," Max rasped. He kept walking toward them. His shoulders slumped wearily, and he seemed to be dragging one foot. "I don't want to hurt anybody. All I want is to talk to Nancy."

"Then put that club down," Ned said reasonably, stepping forward and holding out both hands to show that they were empty. "Nobody's got any weapons here. Nancy will talk to you if you throw your weapon away."

"Not on your life," Max said with a gesture toward Tod and Mike.

He lifted the stick, and Nancy could see that he had driven a giant, lethal-looking spike into the end of it. "Stay back!" he rasped when Tod moved closer. "Where's Nancy Drew? It's a matter of life and death!" A shadow of pain crossed his face, and he began to cough.

"Here I am," Nancy said, stepping forward beside Ned. She could hear Max's harsh, labored breathing. "What do you want?"

For an instant, distracted by Nancy's voice and by his own coughing, Max lowered the stick. Mike and Tod rushed him. Mike tackled him around the knees, bringing him down, and Tod tried to pin his arms behind his back. Max fought back with the strength of a madman, and the three rolled on the dusty ground in a silent, violent tangle. But after a moment, the two were too much for Max, and Tod managed to get astride him. He put his hands around Max's neck, trying to throttle him.

"Ned!" Nancy screamed, running toward them. "Stop him! We've got to hear what Max has to say! He may be our key to this mystery!"

Ned jumped in with the skill that made him Emerson's star quarterback. He grabbed Mike by the collar and tossed him several feet away. But as he reached for Tod, Tod jumped up and picked up the club Max had dropped.

"Now I've got you!" Tod shouted down at Max. "You're not going to get away with killing Paula!" He poised to strike, the spike glinting viciously at the end of the stick.

Suddenly Nancy lashed out with a hard, flying kick at the small of Tod's back. As she struck him, the club was knocked out of his hands and he fell to the ground, gasping.

Max had raised himself to his hands and knees, trying painfully to push himself up off the ground. Blood oozed out of the corner of his mouth. The gash over his right eye had opened up again. His other eye was already puffed and swelling where Tod had hit him. Max crouched and fell forward.

Ned took off his canvas belt and bent over Max, hauling him up to a sitting position. "I'm not going to hurt him, I'm just going to make sure he doesn't get away," he told Nancy. He pulled Max's arms behind his back and looped the belt twice around his forearms, before he pushed it through the buckle and cinched it tight.

Helplessly, Max dropped his head between his knees. Nancy leaned over him. It sounded as if he were trying to say something.

"It wasn't me!" he said, sucking in his breath with a hollow, whistling sound. "I didn't . . . I didn't kill Paula!"

"What?" Nancy and Ned said together.

Max coughed again. "It . . . it was the other way around," he gasped, attempting to pull himself up straight. "She . . ." His eyes glazed over, and he fell heavily to his side in the dirt. "Be careful," he whispered to Nancy, his voice fading. "She's after you!"

"After me? But why? What are you trying to say, Max?"

"She's trying to kill you. She's not . . . she's not . . ." Max's head fell back limply.

Ned felt for a pulse. "He's passed out," he said grimly.

Nancy stared up at Ned. "Do you suppose he was telling the truth?" she asked. "That he didn't kill Paula?"

"Max!" Bess came running up. She had ripped off the tail of her blouse and soaked it in water from the canteen. She knelt down beside Max and began to wipe the blood off his face. "Is he going to be all right?" she asked fearfully.

Ned stood up after freeing Max's hands. "It's hard to say," he replied, looking down on Max's unconscious face. "He's probably got some internal injuries—maybe some broken ribs, maybe worse." He scowled at Tod and Mike. "The beating didn't help any."

Tod hung his head. "It looked like he was going to try to get away. We were just making sure he didn't." Tod glanced up again. "What did he mean when he said he didn't kill Paula?"

"Maybe there was somebody else up there with them?" Mike said. "I don't know—do you suppose somebody else pushed Paula over the cliff?"

"And what about his warning to you?" Ned asked Nancy, with a puzzled look. "When Max said that Paula is out to kill you, he was talking like she's still alive!"

"That's impossible," Tod scoffed. "We saw her fall from the cliff and into the water."

Nancy shook her head, frowning. "We'll have to wait until Max regains consciousness to be sure that's what happened. Then we can ask him some more questions."

"There's a shed over there," Ned said, pointing toward a group of weathered, ramshackle outbuildings. "And I see a folded-up tarp just inside the door. Let's put Max on the tarp and move him into the shed, where he'll be out of this sun."

It took a few minutes to move Max. The others stood silently, watching, as if they were afraid Max might come to and attack them.

When Max was lying on the floor of the shed, Mike straightened up and dusted off his hands, looking at his watch. "I'm going to go up to the tower and send off that message," he said. "It's nearly three o'clock now. If we don't let the rangers know right away that we're here, they might not be able to get us out before dark."

Nancy, Ned, and Bess decided to stay with Max while the others climbed the tower with Mike. They had been gone for five minutes or so when Max began to stir.

"Max," Nancy said urgently, bending over him. "Can you talk? Who pushed Paula over the cliff? Was somebody else up there with you?"

Max didn't answer. After opening his eyes he just stared, then lapsed into a delirious sleep.

"Oh," Bess moaned, twisting her fingers anxiously. "He looks like he's going to die."

"I'm going to go after Mike and tell him to ask the Forest Service to send a doctor with the helicopter," Nancy said suddenly, scrambling to her feet. She pulled out the tiny notebook and pencil that she always carried and handed it to Ned. "If he says anything you can understand—even if it sounds like nonsense—write it down."

"Okay," Ned promised.

Nancy started across the dusty yard of the ranger station toward the tower. She was deep in thought. Max had said that he didn't kill Paula. "It was the other way around," he had said. But that could only mean one thing: That Paula had tried to kill him!

The wind picked up suddenly, moaning around the tower.

Nancy began to climb the stairs. She was partway up when she caught a flash of movement below her. A slight figure dashed out of the dense woods that surrounded the ranger station and ran across the yard toward the tower. Staring unbelievingly at the runner, who had already begun to take the stairs toward her, two at a time, Nancy gripped the steel railing.

"Paula!" she gasped.

L.$