02. The Things We Do For Love

The skies were still dark and the moon was still in sight while the the sun had barely risen. The jeep I was riding on was stuck in traffic and the seconds seemed to drag on longer and longer yet the sun remained hiding behind the clouds. I guess I didn't deserve to see the light of day after what I've done. I know I've killed her, didn't I? I mean, Natalya's not some schizophrenic hallucination, I'm fully aware of her existence and that I forced her to exist because I was so alone and I needed a friend. I know she's not real, I know that she's just me, just a part of me. And what I dreamt last night, when I saw what Natalya did to my grandmother, I think that was just me in her skin. I know people sleepwalk but how the hell could I even kill anyone while asleep? Am I possessed or something? Did the devil I created found a mind of its own? I know I love fantasizing but I'm still aware of reality. Christ, the more I think about reality the more I wonder if this reality I'm aware of is the actual reality or just a reality imposed on to us pitiful human beings. I have got to stop watching the Matrix.

"Miss? Miss, uy! Okay ka lang?" I was shaken away from my thoughts by a woman in her forties who was seated next to me. I stared at her wide-eyed with a blank expression, my eyes started to sting and I felt something trickle down my cheeks, as it turns out I was crying. I quickly wiped it off and told her,

"O-okay lang po ako." I looked out my window and found that I was near enough my school, "Para po," I gestured to the driver and immediately got off the jeep. I didn't want to attract any more attention. I always feel uneasy when people look at me for more than five seconds. I have the strangest feeling that if people look at me long enough they'd immediately see my flaws and then end up disliking me. I know, who doesn't have flaws? But I take them horribly than most.

There weren't much students yet when I arrived, no lights from our building were seen lit from the outside. The gate was closed but it wasn't locked so I opened it and it produced the most irritating sound from its rusty hinges that I think I woke the reseidential area near the school. I caught the attention of the school gatekeeper as well, he was a slender old man, balding and a bit hunched but obviously still able.

"Uy, good morning! Aga natin ah?" he greeted me.

"Good morning to you too, Manong Lon." I smiled. He smiled back but said nothing more after that so I proceeded to my right and climb the stairs to our floor.

Our floor was empty as I had expected, and my homeroom was locked too so I waited. I climbed up the barrier in front of the homeroom, unafraid of the accident I would get myself into if somehow a strong gust of wind or an invisible being pushes me to my death. I wouldn't mind actually if Natalya brings me to my death.

"I'd never do that!" Oh wow, now you decide to show up? I want answers now! Which actually sounds stupid since I know you know that I know I'm just you.

"Exactly, so why would I kill you? I would cease to exist." Oh but it was okay for you to kill mama?

"I killed who now? You said you know that I know that you know you're just me. Doesn't that make you, technically speaking, the killer?" How come you don't know anything? You're supposed to be that knows things that I repress or refuse to believe in.

"I know! So what are you on about? Who did we kill?" I had a dream last night, that you killed mama, which as you just said, technically was me, but in the dream I didn't want it to happen but a barrier stopped me, then you just went on and killed her which led me to the conclusion that I had some repressed desire to kill my poor grandmother, which  I somehow did in my sleep.

"I really have no idea about that dream, but did you just say a barrier?" Yeah? Why? "All the encounters we had, all the dreams you had that I was in was all just you forcing it to happen, you direct our meetings, how can a barrier appear in that dream of yours, that I was also in?" Does that mean, there's another you? One that has a mind of its own?