f o u r ♔

Mrs. Brent blew her whistle, telling the boys to get out of the pool. It was only third period and I was starving, there was no way I was going to survive one more period before lunch.

Candice stood up from beside me and set her towel on the bench. I watched as my peers climbed out the pool and others jump in.
        "C'mon." She motions me to stand up, but I shake my head. "You know I can't." I laugh awkwardly. I couldn't ignore the laughter of the girls in the pool, playing around in the pool.

"When is the last time you've been in the pool?" Candice asks.

She knew how long I haven't been in the pool but that was her point. She wanted me to see how ridiculous I was being, when the truth was I wasn't. "I almost died, remember."
Candice nods slowly, "But that's not gonna happen again." I glared at Grayson on my right who was drying off his hair. Mrs. Brent blew her whistle again, which was for Candice.

She glared over at our teacher who was waiting for her, then she turned back towards me. "You know everyone thinks you're scared about getting back into the water. I'd have to agree it's sorta sad." She sighs, as she heads towards the pool. I rolled my eyes, trying not to care about what Candice said.
         I watched as she jumped into the pool with the rest of the girls, as the guys began to sit down beside me.

                   Sure I was tempted to get into the pool but just like everyday I told myself it was safer this way. I glared down at the checkered blue floor, "Jen!" Grayson called from afar, I looked over at him.

He motioned for me to get the pool, "All week." He mouths, referring to how long I haven't participated in swimming. Ethan was standing behind his brother drying his hair, when he stared over at me.
                   I felt as if my heart dropped to my stomach, it didn't make any sense because Ethan and I were always together. Lately talking to him had been awkward, when usually it was never was.

      My eyes flickered back on Grayson, motioning for me to get in the pool. I glared at Mrs. Brent who was watching the volleyball game, the girls were doing terrible. I smiled at Gray who smiled back, "They're struggling." He jokes, smiling. He knew I was thinking the same, I hated whenever him or Ethan did that.

I groaned softly, standing up and placing my towel on the bench. The twins smiled at me, playfully as I approached the pool. As the girls were playing volleyball, "Mrs. Brent, is it okay if I join the next round?"
My teacher glared over me, nodding her head as she glared down at her clipboard. I bent down and sat on the edge of the pool, watching the game. When the round was over I got into the pool, everyone was staring at me. In order to get use to the temper of the pool I went under water, a few seconds after I came back up the game started.

The whole entire game I was doing pretty well, we rotated with the guys a few times. During the last round for the girls I accidentally hit one girl in the face, I jumped out of the pool and tried to apologize to her.
       She was walking towards the boys when I realized Ethan rushed up to her, comforting her. I had never felt so embarrassed in my life and it wasn't even me that did anything embarrassing. Everyone was silent, watching the three of us.

             I had no idea she was Ethan's girlfriend.

                 The girl looked over at me, at first she looked at me as if I hit her intentionally. But then she smiled friendly at me, "Its okay." I didn't know what to but stand there, I wasn't expecting her to be so chill about it.
           Our teacher gathered the class' attention and told them to take their showers, while she made sure Ethan's girlfriend was alright. Grayson lingered around as everyone began to head to the locker rooms, "Don't worry, she won't be pissed at you."

I acknowledged him, "She?"

         "Jasmine."

             I smiled at him because he was staring at me strangely, "Are you okay?" I nodded, "Yeah, I'm gonna go...." He smiled, my awkwardness and said goodbye. I quickly rushed over to the bench and grabbed my towel, then headed to the locker ion.
                 I got into the shower pretty fast, considering Candice made it her mission to let me use her shower stall after her. The good thing about having gym sixth period is the fact that you could just wait until you got home to take a shower. Especially  if the line for the shower was long like today, or you embarrassed yourself like me and just wanted to leave as soon as possible.

              I got dressed and was sitting on the bench putting on my boots when Jasmine walked over to me, "So you're Jennifer." She gave me a welcoming smile but I wasn't sure if this was when she was going to act like a total bitch to me, or be nice to me. She had on this really pretty forest green infinite scarf on and the cutest outfit I've seen all day.
        Looking at her made me more insecure about myself every second and I hated it.

                        "Hi?" I smiled, it sounded more like a question than a response. "I'm so sorry about hitting you in the face with the volleyball." She shook her, "No.... I should have been paying attention." I tried to reason with her that it was all my fault, because I didn't want her taking the blame but she cut me off. "Do you know where Mr. Simmons' class room is?" I laced up my boots, standing up and grabbing my bag from my locker.

               "Luckily, for you I know exactly where his class is." I was trying not to look intimidated by her, she smiled at me. "Are you in his class?" She followed after me as I closed and locked my locker, then heading for the exit.
         Our teacher always made us wait for the bell to ring, and since it hadn't rung we were just going to have to wait. "Luckily, no I'm just his student assistant." I was glad was just his assistant because he was a jerk.

             I think Mr. Simmons only dislikes me because of the rumors he's heard from other students.

She laughed, "Student assistant but aren't you a sophomore? Aren't student assistants college kids?"

                        I shook my head, "Not all student assistants are college students. "I was the freshman class president, our school gives the president a lot of power. But that power had to only contribute to things like lead and organize all student activities pertaining to their class. I managed to convince the principal to let us have student assistants."
              Jasmine smiles at me, "That's so cool, like I'm not even trying to be sarcastic or anything."

               The bell rung and girls rushed past us to get out, Jasmine frowned at how rude they were being but then she just laughed. We both exited the locker room and Ethan was waiting for us, he kissed Jasmine right in front of me literally.
       Then he focused on me, "Hey," he gave me a fist bump, a fucking fist bump!

                           Jasmine was standing beside Ethan, pressed against his chest as she smiled at me. He looked down at his girlfriend and asked her, "Do you need me to walk you to class?" I slid my hands into my jacket pockets, and glared around the hallways.
       She shook her head, "It's okay Jenny is taking me." The couple looked at me and I gulped, he nodded as he parted from her. "Alright, I'll come to your fourth period to come get you for lunch."

                Jasmine parted from him and held his hand as she parted from him, I glared down at the floor. "I'll miss you." She grins.

        Oh, my gosh.

              Ethan smiled back, "I love you too."

Jasmine began walking, "I love you more."

                          No, freaking way.

"I love you more." He smirks, as they slowly sparred farther and farther. If they kept this up I'd be forty-three by the time I got to class.
                    Jasmine parted her lips to continue the conversation but I grabbed her hand, "Hey, we should go! Don't wanna be late on your first day of class!" I tugged her down the hallway, as she kept glaring over her shoulder a Ethan.