Daddy's Blood

"Jessie? Jessie, come out now. This isn't hide and seek, now come out." My father was scaring me with the tone that he was using. He sounded frightened but also angry. Was he angry at me? I pushed the closet door open and walked into the living room. It smelled of cake which means Mommy was cooking food. Daddy walked into the room and let out a sigh of relief when he saw me standing there. He was tall compared to me, and he had his normal house clothes on: a white undershirt and his old, black house pants. He walked over to me and picked me up. "Jess, why were you hiding in the closet?"

"I wanted to be in the dark." Worry suddenly spread across his face.

"Did you get in the sunlight?" I shook my head. "Jess, are you lying to me?" His tone had gotten deeper, and I knew I was butsted.

"I wanted to play with the other kids..." I began to cry. This was my dream, to be normal. I can't be out in the sunlight because it makes me weak. I tried and had to hide in the closet to regain the energy back. Being four years old helped since I had a lot of energy to burn.

He wiped the tears away with his thumbs and stared into my crimson eyes. The same crimson eyes that were passed down from my mother's side of the family. Mommy didn't have the blood red eyes, nor did grandma. Red eyes meant somthing to vampires. It meant that something bad will happen to the one who bears the cursed eyes. My parents were always so afraid to leave me alone because they feared that they would lose me.

He gave me a soft smile and hugged me as he carried me into the kitchen. The smell of burning cake filled my nose. Mommy never burns food unless something either has her spooked or she is distracted. Daddy put me down and went to her.

"Emily? What's going on? Are you okay?" I watched my father take a step closer to Mommy and place a hand on her back. She jumped and looked at him.

"Steve, they're coming." The emptiness in her words was enough to send chills down my spine if not the sudden change of expression on my father's face didn't. They both looked at me. "We have to get her somewhere safe. Not many of them know about her, so if she hides, then the humans won't know she's here." Daddy looked at Mommy and began to cry.

"I was hoping that we would get to spend a few more years with Jess before this happened." Daddy came over to me and picked me up. He hugged me before I was placed in Mommy's arms. She kissed my cheek and held me close.

"Jess, I want you to hide in your best hiding spot and don't come out no matter what. Okay?" I looked at her and nodded.

"Yes, Mommy." She set me down, and I ran to the second closet in the living room. It was the least used and hard to get to. It was behind the floral cream couch that was used for discipline. Someone would sit on the couch and bend me over their knee. Then they would proceed to spank me. It wasn't fun.

Daddy must have watched me slip into the closet because once I closed the door, the couch was pushed against it. I could see out through the wooden blinds of the door. I had to stand on a firm box in order to see over the couch though. This was like being in the other closet except it was completely dark since the doors didn't have blinds. I could see out but they couldn't see in.

Mommy and Daddy had sat on the couch. The smell of burnt cake was flooding the house, so she must have taken the cake out of the oven. Even though it had a burnt smell to it, the scent of the cake made my stomach growl. I was hungry now, but I wasn't able to eat.

I kept getting glances from Daddy as he talked to Mommy. It was normal sounding. Almost as if nothing was wrong. I didn't understand what was going on. They sounded happy, but they didn't act happy. It was confusing. Was this all because I hid in the closet after I went outside?