1. i cannot escape you

Sigh.

Another same old day of boringness. Another day of ignoring annoying people and loud teachers. Another day of sitting in the back of class, counting down the minutes until the bell rings.

At least it's almost Friday, I think as I shove my books into my locker, getting ready to go to lunch.

"Excuse me, can you show me where the cafeteria is?"

I look over to see a cute boy with wide eyes, smiling down at me.

To say I am shocked is an understatement. Nobody ever talks to me. Well, I chose not to talk to anyone, except Farkle, but he doesn't count.

"No," I answer as I quickly close my locker. I try to escape and avoid having to talk to him, but man, is he persistent.

Despite my speed walk, he is able to catch up with me because of his unfairly, long legs.

"I'm Lucas. What's your name?" He says as we continue to walk down the hall.

Oh great. He is trying to strike another conversation. Maybe if I ignore him, he would go away.

"Well, I just moved here from Texas."

Nope, didn't work. Time to step it up.

"I don't really know anyone yet and it would be nice to-"

"Look, I'm not interested. I have a boyfriend," I lie. Lying was my gift. This always works. I just have to catch them off guard and then run.

Lucas furrows his eyebrows. "I didn't mean it like-"

"Don't care. Bye!" I speed walk away again, this time with a successful escape.

♡♡♡

"Hello, lady."

"Farkle."

Farkle sits down at the round lunch table, a tray full of mashed potatoes and a huge textbook in his hands. Farkle was the only one I sat with and talked to at this hell of a school. We used to hang out a lot with Riley in middle school, but that was before my life flipped.

"Anything new today?"

"Nope," I lie, as I think about what just happened before I got to lunch. Told you lying was my talent.

Farkle nods and opens his textbook, reading the small font as he eats. This is pretty much how our conversation goes everyday. He always checks up on me, but I'm never in the mood to talk. He never pushes and that's what I like about him.

I shove my fork into my dry salad and think of new ideas for my art project. But I lose my train of thought when I hear a loud thump on my table. I look up to see Lucas and his tray of sloppy joe.

"So you do know where the cafeteria is." He gives me an annoying smirk and turns to Farkle. "Are you the boyfriend?"

Farkle looks up from his large textbook and stares. I am just about to internally thank him for keeping quiet, when he does the unthinkable and laughs.

"Maya doesn't have a boyfriend!"

Embarressed and angry that he outed my lie and my name, I decide to give him a kick from under the table.

I ignore his screams of pain and turn to Lucas.

"Oh, so you don't have a boyfriend, Maya."

I squint my eyes at him, my cheeks getting red from anger.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Eating lunch," he says and points to his food.

"I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I don't want you around me."

"Like you made it clear how you have a boyfriend?" He backfires, giving me another one of his annoying smirks.

I basically had steam coming out my ears. Nobody talked to me, especially like that. They all knew to keep away.

All, but him.

"You're not playing this right," I say, pointing my fork at him.

Lucas continues to smile. "Well, that certainly wasn't my intention, mam."

I glare at him, but he just stares back, completely unfazed.

Giving up, I groan loudly, shoving my fork back into the salad. Making this new guy go away is going to be harder than I thought.

"Ugh, stupid huckleberry, making my life more difficult." I mumble into my salad.

"What?" Huckleberry asks.

"Nothing," I quickly respond.

But it wasn't nothing.

♡♡♡

a/n
So this is a first for me and I know it's bad but hopefully I'll progress. Thanks for reading!

(unedited)