Chapter 6- Final

“I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December Seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.”

I knew it; I knew that President Roosevelt was going to say that we are now at war with Japan. There was no way he was going to sit around and do nothing after what occurred yesterday.

I was told to stay here at Pearl Harbor until further notice. I wrote a letter home to let my family know that I am alright:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I know that you are absolutely worried sick about me. I am letting you know that I am fine; I acquired no wounds from the attack except that I am sore from saving men from the water. The Japanese hit us hard, not much is left of the naval base or air fields. I have been very busy at the hospital, obviously, so this letter will not be very long as I am on a very short break. I want you to know that I miss you dearly and that I send you my love. I have seen so much in the past few days that no person should have had to see. I do not regret my decision becoming a nurse despite what happened. They still need me here and I do not know how long I will have to be here. I am sorry that I will not be home for Christmas as promised. I have to go now. I will write you again when I have more time.

Love,

Ruth

Some time passed before I received a response:

Dear Ruth,

Thank the Lord you are alright! We were so worried about you; when we heard about the attack, my heart broke into pieces. I thought that I had lost you. I would imagine the Navy is crippled, do you know how many ships were lost? I cannot even fathom how many men and women were lost either. I am so proud that you are seving our beloved country, your father keeps boasting about you. You know, Whirlpool is not making appliances anymore; they are now making parts for airplane (Whirlpool para. 1). He has been busy with the transition and hasn’t been home much leaving me alone with your sisters. They are so glad that you are fine and really want you to come home; we all want you to come home. In the meantime, I hope that you will be safe.

Love,

Mom

I write as much as I can to keep my mind off from that fateful day. Every few weeks I receive a letter from home which always makes my day. Time passed by slowly, or at least it felt like it.

It is now Independence Day 1942 and I am finally home. My younger sisters greet me at the door with their arms open wide. I hug them both at once so glad to see them again. My dad follows behind them, a broad smile on his face. “Welcome home, sweetheart!” He says.

“Hey, dad” I hug him. Mom is in the kitchen finishing making the lemonade. When she is finished, she walks up to me and gives me a hug as well. “I missed you so much!” I say.

“I know. I missed you too. I am so glad you are here.” I spend the rest of the day with my family. They try not to mention Pearl Harbor, but it always comes up every now

and then. I understand; no matter how hard I try to keep my mind from it, it will always come back into my mind. America changed that fateful day. We are involved in the war now and every American, no matter how old, are doing all they can to help out. My father stands up at the table, a glass in his hand.

“I want to make a toast, a toast to my daughter who is finally home. I am so proud of you and I love you. May you continue to serve our country and may God bless you; God bless America!”

“God bless America” I say before I take a drink of lemonade.