Chapter Four.

That night, I dozed off effortlessly at around 10 P.M. I was so exhausted that sleep came easily. I slept dreamlessly and peacefully. The day wore on in the same fashion as yesterday - I could feel a routine in the making. 

I saw the blue-eyed boy everyday in homeroom, but I was too chicken to approach him. He was quiet and almost always alone. Every now and then a cute girl would jabber on to him, and he seemed less than interested, but he didn't make any move to force them away. He was always busy, whether he was writing or reading or doing an assignment. I asked Joseph who he was on my fourth day there. His response was, "Oh. That's Evan. He's kind of weird. Like, he ain't got a whole lot of friends or nothin'. But I guess he's nice, I don't really know him. I ain't gonna try to get to know him either, he ain't like the other people 'round here."

That in itself was enough to motivate me to talk to Evan. If he wasn't like anyone else around here, that'd be more than a relief. Not that I didn't like my new friends . . . Well, they weren't "friends" exactly. But I wanted someone I could relate to, just for once, and it seemed the brilliant blue-eyed boy was my best chance in this place.

One week after I'd been in my new school, I was settling in nicely. People rarely stared anymore, and if they did, at least they didn't pound me with that "Who's the new girl?" look. Several boys had asked me out, which I found both ridiculous and surprising. I'd never, ever been asked out on a date before. But these boys didn't know a thing about me, other than the inaccurate information that was probably being spread about me. How could they "like" someone they didn't know?

It was on that day - my one week anniversary of living in Cincinatti - that an average looking boy approached me in the hall. He had brown hair, brown eyes, and might have passed for cute if I really cared enough to judge him that way. I was at my locker, getting my bag to go home for the day. I had just packed all my books into my backpack and was heading back towards my homeroom when he stepped in front of me.

"Hi, I'm Justin," he said, his hand reaching for mine. I shook it indefinitely.

"Uh. Hey. I'm Kelsey," I managed. I'd never seen the boy before, but he stood in a way that made him seem cocky. Like he was very confident of whatever he was about to do or say.

"I'm having this amazing party tonight at my crib. Six o'clock. I'd really like you to come; my parents are out of town." He winked, and handed me a strip of paper. His number.

"Er. I'll try." I put on a fake smile and walked back to class. Evan was in the doorway, his hands folded over his chest. He had that smirk that he had worn the very first day I saw him, and it was too adorable to ignore.

I looked down at the paper, rolled my eyes, and threw it in the garbage. Parties were not my thing.

"Preppy boy Justin invites you to his annual bash, and you're not going?" a voice asked.

I turned. It was Evan. He had a soft, velvet voice. It was absolutely lovely.

I laughed nervously. "Am I supposed to be grateful he invited me?" I asked playfully.

"Hmmm . . . considering most girls would dissolve into giggles if Justin even knew their name, I would suppose so," Evan stated. He had a nice vocabulary, which I admired. I didn't always try to sound like I was smart, but with Evan, I decided to.

"The maturity of those girls is also probably very underdeveloped. Justin can party all he wants; I'll be analyzing Newton's laws of motion tonight without him," I smiled, referring to our latest assignment in Science class.

"Not to sound like all the rest, but wanna study together sometime? Science is my worst subject, and you sound intelligent," he said. I blushed. 

"If you insist. Actually, I'm free tonight, if you wanted to meet at the library or something," I suggested. 

"Sounds like a plan. I live right next to it, so maybe 5:30-ish?" he asked. His eyes were so breathtaking . . . 

"Okay," I managed.

And with that, I had a date with Evan Yanks.