Chapter 2: Ghoulish Incident

As I came up to the Studio, the style of it looked familiar. I knocked on the door and there was no answer, so I slowly opened the door and peeked in. Soon after, I felt a pair of hands touch my shoulders.

"Boo." This was whispered into my ear. If hands on my shoulders didn't scare me, that sure did the trick. I jumped and swung my arms at whomever it was behind me. After completely turning around and seeing who it was, I immediately withdrew my arms back to my sides and apologized. Uta then began giggling at my reaction to him scaring the living hell out of me. I gave him a royally pissed off look and put my hands on my hips.

"Hey! That's not funny!" He then looked up at me and stopped laughing for the moment.

"You just looked like you were waiting to be scared. It was hard to not scare you." Uta walked past me to get into the shop and pulled an extra chair next to his. Once he was sitting on his chair, he patted the other one for me to sit on, so I came in and sat down. His chair quickly spun around so that his back was facing me, he grabbed a few papers off of the desk, and turned around once again to show me the papers. Uta handed the papers over to me and I skimmed through them, seeing a few Halloween styled masks. One was a sketch for a cat mask and the other was a sketch for a kitsune mask. The kitsune mask was the one that caught my attention out of the two drawings, so I grabbed Uta's attention and pointed to the Kitsune sketch. He took the papers back, pulled out a box of supplies, and out of the box he pulled out measuring tape. Uta spun my chair around so that my back now faced him and began to measure my head.

"What brought you to the 20th Ward, if you don't mind me asking?" He kept on measuring different aspects of my head as he asked me the question.

"I heard a few rumors about my 'dear' sister Rize from an acquaintance of mine." I have never thought of Rize as 'dear' to me at all, but instead, thought that the sentence would sound better by saying it. Soon after that response, he was all done measuring the things to make the mask. By now, it was dark outside. Once Uta noticed this, he pulled out a blanket and lead me into his back room. When we got into the room, there was a couch near the back, left hand corner of the room with a TV on the other side of the room along side a work desk accompanied with a another one of those spinning chairs and a lamp. The tattooed buddy of mine took the blanket over to the couch and draped it over the top portion of the couch.

"You can sleep here for tonight. I still have some work to do, so I'll be in the shop for a bit." He came over to me, swept the hair out of my eyes, gave me a kiss on the forehead, and went back into the shop to finish up his work. I went to the couch, laid down, put the blanket over me, and drifted off to sleep. When I woke up, I could feel arms wrapped around me accompanied with a body pressed up against my back. I looked over my shoulder to see that it was Uta with his arms around me and his body up against mine.

"Uta. . ." My voice came out as a whisper and became soft when realizing that it was only Uta. As I looked around the room, I saw the TV remote sitting on the ground next to the couch. I stretched my arms out, picked up the remote, turned the TV on, and started surfing the channels.

I turned the news on and an interesting topic appeared:

"Was the girl registered as an organ donor? Do you have approval from her family?" These were in fact the investigators asking the Doctor.

"Did you let her die? As a doctor, aren't you supposed to exhaust every option?" This was the investigator that sat next to the Doctor in question.

"Her death was confirmed from the moment they brought her in. We believe that she was killed instantly. And I also believe my mission as a doctor is to save the lives that are presented to me. That is how I made my decision in this case." This was the response that the doctor gave to the Investigators and whomever had seen this.

The next topic on the news also caught my interest:

"Due to the predatory Ghoul incident that happened near the Takada building, people are unable to hide their unease at the thought that the city of Tokyo is being attacked. Today we have an expert from the Ghoul Research Division. . . Dr. Ogura, to give us more information."

"Ghouls, you know, do now need to consume a large number of meals in the short term." This was in fact the doctor they last mentioned.

"They can survive perfectly well for a month or two on one dead body. . . But there are many ghouls who eat a number of people like this for mere pleasure. Make no mistake these are nasty creatures. Now, it may be that the ghoul is afraid of the investigation department and is hiding itself. Normally, ghouls lead their lives among us in human shape,..."

"Oh, I see. . . ? Can't ghouls be satisfied with ordinary food?" This was a female that was sitting next to the doctor.

". . . You're in that seat yet you know nothing. Ghouls are unable to digest any nutrients of non-human origin. This is said to be the result of a particular enzyme they have. Furthermore, because the structure of their tongues are different from our own. Food feels very uncomfortable for them. Salad tastes unripe, and meat and fish taste disgusting, it seems. In front of people they may be able to eat and endure it, but. . . After eating, they are struck with a powerful urge to vomit."