Wishes unfulfilled

Memories of the distant past filtered past my mind as I feel into a deep sleep. 

~Azhaire's memories from 9 years ago~

Bullies: Emma ! You told us off to the teachers right? Just because we took revenge for you standing in my way! Now you will get it.....

The bullies take out a wooden bat and was about to swing it as Emma when......

Azhaire: Hey! Pick on somebody your own size!

The wooden bat hit Azhaire's arm and the bullies immediately flee.

Azhaire: Oi! Are you okay?

Emma: Says the person who got hit by a wooden bat. *rolls her eyes* Don't try to flirt.

Azhaire: I realise the reason they would want to hit you. Not least bit appreciative to someone who helped you.

Emma: I didn't ask for your help.

Azhaire: Now time for you to realise that without me, a petty and frail girl with a sharp tongue wouldn't be concious at this moment. *smirks and walks off*

Emma: Mouuuuu!!!!(Ugghhhh in Japanese)

Time and time again, they met in the same situation and they grew closer and closer. Whether it was fate or whether it was pure coincidence was unknown. The only thing they knew but never spoke of, was that they had each other's backs. Through thick and thin, they would help each other. One day, everything changed and it never went back to normal.

Emma: Azhaire......... I have to tell you something.

Azhaire: What? I have to go soon.

Emma: I am moving to America.

Azhaire: WHAT!?!?!? Why?

Emma: My father has work there and needs to be there for a long time. When I come back, I don't even know whether you will remember me.

Azhaire: I will never forget the irritating little girl who has words that are so antagonizing. Promise you will come back?

Emma: I will promise.

Both of them pinky promised and had a smiled spread across their countenance, like a brilliant painter's stroke. Each and everyday when Emma was gone, Azhaire counted on the fact that Emma would come back one day but his final hope was broken.

The day Azhaire received word that Emma had died in a car accident along with her family, he was like a empty shell. Emma's life was like a candle which had been puffed out too abruptly and disappeared in a flit of a butterflies wings, leaving loneliness in its wake. Azhaire had lost all hope. Azhaire was naive. Azhaire......... needed love from a special someone. Emma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of the blue, Azhaire woke up from his slumber with cold sweat dripping from his forehead. He fenced his head with his hands and wept. He couldn't last any longer, living like an empty shell but what could he do? He had always blamed himself for Emma's death as he could have gone along with her and did something to prevent her death but he couldn't. The only thing he could have done was weep for her death and show her that she wasn't alone even as death comes upon her.

Azhaire: I am sorry Emma....... If only.....

?????:  If only what? 

Azhaire: Emma?