Being Stuck In A Musical

I thought my life was pretty normal until I stepped out of my tiny apartment 1899, New York City. Of course the odd happenings didn't happen right away though I could tell something was wrong. My name? Leory Smittly, a man who just moved out of his mothers home in dreams of becoming a newspaper publisher. Unfortunately not up to my goals yet I just fetch the real publisher and his colleagues coffee and sandwiches. Here is my story on how I got stuck in a musical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I paced my self down the steps of my ruddy apartment complex in hopes that today would be the day that I was given a promotion. I've been working at the New York World for about a year now as the sand which boy. Being just thirty I was probably the youngest working there with an exception of the newspaper boys. The newspaper boys or the "newsies" probably had it the worst when working at the New York World. They are sent off to sell our companies newspapers in harsh weather and are barely paid a penny for their work.

I seemed to be the only one who felt sympathy for them because I always give about 1/5 of my paycheck to one of the newsies. I was about to head into the brass doors of the company when I noticed one of the newsies , Jack Kelly, sitting on the steps playing with the dirt. He was one of the many newsies that came from the orphanage.

" Why the long face Jack? Aren't you supposed to be delivering the papers?" I asked sitting myself beside him. Jack looked up at me and smiled.

" Not with those prices I won't" Suddenly out of nowhere newsies jumped out of crates and boxes and began chanting. They all formed a line and started to dance. Even though I tried to get into work my feet dragged me into their lines. I grabbed a hand rail trying to resist going into the crowd.

" Get a wiggle Mr!" A newsies shouted grabbing my foot. Soon I was in the line and was dancing.

" Are you all mad?!" I screamed.

What was happening?

It seemed as if other unlucky street goers were doing the same thing I was except they seemed enthusiastic.

"Pulitzer and Hearst. They think they got us. Do they got us?" Jack sang. All of the sudden I heard my own voice shout no. I tried to say something else but no words came out.

"Even though we ain't got hats or badges. We're a union just by sayin'so
And "The World" will know!. What's it gonna take to stop the wagons? Are we ready?" He shouted once more.

" Yeah!" I said along with everyone else. A couple of versus the song ended and the newsies ran off excitedly. I saw Jack try to run off but I grabbed his arm.

" What in the world just happened there?" I demanded.

" A protest Mr. Leory. Gee weren't you listening?" He told me.

" I mean with the singing and dancing," I glanced at my watch and groaned. " I'm late for work now." Jack grinned.

" No need to worry Mr. Leory, soon The World will know and lower the paper prices and even give you a raise." I let go of his arm.

" Not if I lose my job!" I said stomping inside. After that I lost my job due to being late and joining a protest. I tried explaining to them that I couldn't control myself but even I wouldn't believe it. The remaining of the week consist of random musical numbers till one day it all stopped. Till this day I still hope it will never happen again.

Hello readers! I did not write The Newsies so credit for whoever wrote it.  Feel free to share your own unnecessary story to be a chapter! You will get credit!