6 Years

"Yame!"

The boys stopped fighting and looked up at their father.

"You have all done very well. Your training is coming along beautifully...I believe it is time you chose a weapon."

The 6 year olds shared a glance among themselves, wide grins slowly spreading across their faces.

"Yay!" They cheered.

"High-three!" Mikey shouted. They high-threed. Splinter smiled.

"I am glad you are so excited my sons. It is a big occasion. However, be careful what weapon you choose. A weapon in not just a tool, it is an extension of yourself."

They nodded excitedly.

Master Splinter went to his room and retrieved a long mat, rolling it out in front of them. Disappearing into his room again he started bringing out weapons, one by one. The boys eyes seemed to sparkle as they eyed the weapons Splinter laid on the mat. Finally, Splinter stopped bringing things out and stood beside the line-up of weapons.

"Now, look carefully. Let the weapon choose you."

They sat down in front of the mat, looking over each weapon carefully.

"Ah!"

Mikey jumped up and grabbed the nun-chucks. He smiled as he started to swing them around. Everyone flinched when one hit him upside the head. Raph suppressed a laugh. Mikey's grin widened.

"These are awesome!"

"The nunchaku. Wild, but powerful if used correctly. Interesting choice."

Mikey giggled and went to the other side of the room to experiment with his newly acquired nun-chucks.

"Can I go next?" Donnie asked. Splinter nodded.

"Then I choose..." Donnie stood and picked up the bo staff. "This one."

Raph burst out laughing.

"A stick!? Out of all of the stuff here you're gonna pick a stick!?"

"The bo staff. Simple, unassuming, but lethal." Splinter said.

Donnie puffed out his chest.

"Yeah Raph, it's lethal." Donnie repeated, then crossed the room to Mikey. Raph rolled his eyes and refocused on the remaining weapons. He smiled.

"I like these ones." He said. He went for the sais, picking them up and figuring out how to hold them.

"The sai? Why do you choose those Raphael?" Splinter asked.

"Cuz they look tough. I can kick butt with these." Raph replied. He attempted to spin them and one flew out of his hand towards Splinter. Splinter caught it between his fingers and held it out. He chuckled.

"Yes, of course."

Raph laughed nervously and took back the sai, them met the other two at the other side of the room. Donnie snickered and pointed.

"Your weapon looks like salad tongs."

"Salad tongs!? Shut up. Especially coming from you with your stick."

Raph took the staff and examined it. He accidentally squeezed it and the blade shot out, transforming it into a naginata and just barely missing Raph's shoulder. Donnie took it back and grinned.

"Lethal Raph, lethal."

Raph rolled his eyes again.

Leo stared at the remaining weapons. They all looked nice, but none of them felt right.