Diamond in the Rough

"Keep sweeping that floor, Rosalie! There can't be a speck of dust on it when I come back home in a few hours!" My dad slams the door so hard it shakes dust from the shelves to the floor. I've been sweeping our shack for hours, I can feel my hands begin to grow callouses. The shack is remarkably dirty, considering it's just me and my papa living here. He notices its filthiness too. Last night he screamed at me "What's the point of living here if you're going to do a miserable job at cleaning? Women are useless!" I can see his bald head boiling with red, complimenting his thick orange beard. Women are useless. I've heard it countless times from men all around England. But yet, three quarters of them would starve without women, and the rest would choke on the dust in their house. "Men are pigs." I mutter to myself, and then yelp as I feel one of my callouses burst. Tears sting my eyes. I drop the splintery wooden broom onto the floor with a thud, and run to the backyard to rinse my hands with cool water from the spigot. I head back into the house in search of mittens to protect my hands from future splinters and callouses. Trying to be as stealthy as I can possibly be, I sneak into my father's room. I'm so careful not to move anything; I don't even want to think about what he would do if he knew I was in his room. I search every drawer, every shelf, every corner, everywhere, meticulously putting every object I move exactly back to where it came from. If he notices any change, which I doubt he will, I can just say I was dusting. After minutes of searching, I have come to the empty handed conclusion that my father had taken his gloves to work today. I exhale a long, depressed breath, and head out the door. Father shouldn't be back until late tonight, and judging by the placement of the sun, I believe it to be 9 in the morning. I have time to run to the clothing store. Ten minutes of walking later and the smell of old leather and wool brushes my face. "Good morning!" A pretty, unfamiliar face gazes up at me.