The Meeting Place

She laughs, and I can't help but laugh with her. "Margaret, what are you doing?" I hear a young voice call out. "Brother, I was just chatting with a, um, friend." She looks at this man with a smile, and he looks at me and returns her smile with knowing eyes. "Well if you don't mind, Margaret's friend, I need Margaret's help back in the store." He winks at me and walks back into the building. "Rosalie. If you could give me your address, I'll be pleased to write you at some times." She tells me. She hands me a small bit of parchment, and I write my address with a piece of coal. "I'll be seeing you." I grab her hand, squeeze it, and walk away.

"Hopefully." I hear her say quietly.

Days go by, and soon turn into weeks. Margaret has constantly been in my thoughts. Many times my father has smacked me across the face in attempt to make me focus on what I was doing, instead of letting my thoughts go adrift. I feel different since the day I met her. I feel braver, stronger, and bolder. I almost feel a bit rebellious, as if I'm breaking rules just by living. All I see in my dreams is her soft blonde hair blowing around her pale face in the wind. I need to see her again. It's been a month since I have met her, and I haven't seen her again. I've been too busy to find time to go to the clothing store, and I haven't got a reason to go there anyway. I walk outside to water the tomato plants, and I something crinkles under my foot on my way outside. I look on the ground and find an envelope with my name written across the back. I pick it up and run back inside into my bedroom, shutting and locking the door. At this point my heart is pounding. I open it to find a small note written with a delicate hand.

"Rosalie, 

Meet me by the tree at dawn"