Chapter 5

That evening, Marybeth did not wear Martin’s jacket. She did not want to look like an obsessed fangirl trying to capture the band’s or the camera’s attention, so she just put on her warmest pale green sweater and white shorts. Collin was with her, hoping a flock of crowd would stand in front of them so Marybeth would not be so close with Martin.

Beep-beep.

“What is it now,” Collin sighed as that techno music echoed from his pocket. He took his black-and-white cell phone, hoping no one had heard it ring. “Mom?”

“Where are you, Collin?! We have to go back home.”

“You mean I have extra chores?”

“No, Collin, home—to the village. Your dad’s badly sick,” Collin did not say a word as his mother’s voice turned into sheer cries. Collin took Marybeth’s hand and pulled her further from the audience. “My dad’s sick. I have to go home now,” he said.

“What? Is he okay?” Marybeth turned to the empty stage. The concert had not started, but she—

“You don’t want to leave,” Collin nodded.

“No, no, Collin, I want to. Let’s go,” Marybeth pleaded.

“No—“ Collin smiled. “He can make you really happy. Go after him. Don’t miss your last chance to see him sing. I’ll be fine. And I’ll cover up for you. I’ll say you fall asleep and won’t be awake until late at night.”

“You’re the best,” Marybeth held his hand and hugged him tight. “And no, you’re the real reason why I’m really happy. This is all because of you, Colls.”

“Sssh,” Collin ran his finger through Marybeth’s lips and leaned towards her. Their lips were only inches apart—but as Marybeth tightened her grip around Collin’s body, she felt a hard vibration followed by another upbeat techno tune.

“Damn!” Collin let go of her and picked the phone up. “I’m on the way home, Mom, wait up!” He ran, leaving Marybeth in the beach, waving.

“Take care of yourself, Collin,” Marybeth hoped her voice could reach him.

“Are—you—ready!!”

This time, The Corridors did not enter with a rocking drum beat or earsplitting electric guitars. Martin looked so different—the whole band was wearing cute beach outfit, each of them wearing floral knee-length pants, and they were sitting. Chris strummed an acoustic guitar and the whole audience clapped to form a rhythm.

“Hey guys—this is for the Beach Princess,” Martin gave a naughty grin. “Come closer, won’t you!”

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” Nope, it wasn’t the jealous girls choir this time, it was the beating in Marybeth’s chest.

“Sing along!” Martin waved, and started singing,

My heart is sinking as I'm lifting up above the clouds away from you…

 And I can't believe I'm leaving, oh I don't kno-kno-know what I'm gonna do…

But someday, I will find my way back to where your name

Is written in the sand…

-

“Everything set, Colls?”

“Yes Mom, this is the last one,” Collins dragged an old suitcase with him. “Hurry up—don’t be so gloomy, Son. We’ll miss the train.”

Collin sighed. “As soon as Dad gets better—can we come back here?”

His mom smiled. “You really like her, don’t you?”

“W-what? Her who? Don’t be silly,” Collin laughed, but something hit him from the inside.

I remember every sunset, I remember every word you said

We were never gonna say goodbye,

Singing la-da-da-da-da

So tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you?

I’ll be there in a heartbeat…

-

“Hey Beach Princess! Won’t you step up here and stand with me one last time?” Martin shouted through his mike. Liam shook his head—but somehow, he knew Martin wasn’t just playing around this time. Some cooperative fans started finding Marybeth and dragging her forward, forward—and up the stage towards Martin.

“Ha! This is for you,” he sang again.

My soul is broken, streets are frozen, I can’t stop these feelings melting through…

And I’d give away a thousand days, oh just to have another one with you…

What do you say?

Well real life can wait, we’re crashing like waves…

Playing in the sand, holding your hand…

And he held his hand. He kept holding his hand as the audience sang along the chorus, until Marybeth finally found her guts to sing along too. Man—two really, really sweet guys in her life were about to leave. One, she was sure she’d never see him again, and the other—she could only hope.

But which one would she prefer to come back, anyway?

Marybeth just could not tell.

“Beach Princess, I hope you like the song,” Martin spoke as Summer Paradise ended. “It’s not mine, but I can’t find anything in our list that matches my feelings for you—“

“Uh! Kiss! Kiss!” the audience teased him in unison. Marybeth giggled, trying to escape the stage as soon as she could, but Martin’s hand was still around her arm.

“We’ll probably never meet again. Can I at least know your name?” Martin’s voice was almost the begging of a five-year-old.

“It’s… I’m Marybeth,” Marybeth finally said. Martin pulled her closer to her.

“And I’m really, really smitten right now,” Martin let out a small laugh as he left a peck on Marybeth’s lips.

The audience was freaking out again.

“And keep the jacket, will you?”

I’ll be back in a heartbeat