A Beach View

I sit in the shade of a Coconut Palm. I feel the small grains of sand stick to my bare legs. I look out at the bay from an island. It is the first of October.

The feeling of autumn is starting to drift along, or is it the wind from the nearby hurricane? Either way, the soft cool breath of the wind contrasts the layer of moldy heat. The water is clear. The sky that meets it is cloudless and infinity blue.

Behind me, where vehicles roar and people jabber, all I hear are the cries of Monk Parakeets as they fly away. Above the crystal waves of ocean water, a Willet and a Laughing Gull fly together, while a Turn hunts, and a gaggle of Cormorants look on and state commentary.

I look on with no expression at all. I would state that I am calm, yet I don't really believe I am. I was more like a statue- one frozen to look out at the small everyday events that take place, one that is frozen to look contemplative, but in fact thinks of nothing at all. I just observe.

The wind shuffles the grass and the limbs and leaves of trees. Yellow sunlight shimmers off of the water and glistens through the palms of the tree that I sit below.

An Egret walks by.

Some might say that it's strange, but I who feels no emotion, continues to.

In this environment, the heavy heat sits on me, the dancing palm shades me, and the whispering winds keeps me company.

***_-_***

The Wind encircles me in a soft and soothing tornado. There is stickiness to the Heat that is layered upon the earth. The Treetops dance with the beat of the Waves. I control everything.

Here my mind takes control. My imagination grasps the World like a drug. The Environment in which I am placed becomes a playground for my creativeness.

Here I am the center of the World- of the whole Universe. If I shift, the Planes of which Creation itself is laid so gently upon quakes and threatens to destroy everything in an instant.

Here the regal Egret flies with the majestic Dragon.

Here the light Dragonfly plays with the colorful Fairy.

Here I create the World based on how the World raised me. Light and Shadow open up some of the pathways to the extraordinary existence of the interior that becomes the exterior.

Here the Native Trees of the Island cry out against the unyielding forces of the Invasive Trees.

Here small wars are fought, lost, won, ended, and begun. These are wars of the Real World and wars of the Imagination.

Here grains of sand can be as large as oceans. The chatter of cormorants can be a heated political debate. The calls of monk parakeets can be the daily news report. Somewhere out there, my imagination leaps and creates a trembling god of a newly risen hurricane.

I have always viewed the Imagination as a door to exit reality, no matter how long. With this view came my opinion of the Mind. The stronger the Mind, the better. The Mind is a powerful energy tool, especially an open mind that divulges itself in Originality and lies inside the open Caverns of Creativity and Imagination.

Facts and Pure imagination are on opposite ends of a spectrum, yet I believe in a certain flexible balance point.

It's funny how every creation can disappear in an instant. Something strikes the Mind back into the lonely world that it is physically bound to. It's funny, and, I'll admit, depressing how often I find myself in a hopeless search for something more. I go everywhere for more, and I absorb everything. I crave it.

But then, maybe it's not so hopeless. Maybe I will find something that will quench my thirst for more.