Before

Two Days Before
The reaping was just days away. The midnight breeze tickeled my skin as goosebumps began to rise on my arm. I could feel Prim next to me, shivering with fear. Who could blame her? She was only twelve and it was her first reaping, no matter how many times I told her that "the odds were most definitely in her favor" She was still so afraid. I knew she wouldn't get chosen, I mean her name was only in there once, right. What were the odds?
-------------------------------------------------------------
One Day Before

"GALE!!!" I shrieked, as he came up behind me and lifted me from my waist. "You know I hate it when you sneak up on me." My tone and demeanor now shifting to serious.
"Woah, now Katnip I was just joking." He reasoned.
"I know I'm just--" I began.
"On edge?" He finished my sentence for me.
"Look, Katniss, I now your scared for Prim, but she will be okay. She's young so her name will only go in once, what are the odds of her getting picked huh?"

"That's what I've been telling myself, what are the odds? Just be greatful your kids aren't twelve yet." I stated

"My kids?" He said quizzically.

"You know what I mean Gale, your siblings."

"I know, but I'd like to be a father one day, have kids, a family." He mused.

"Ahhhahhhhahh!!" I couldn't control my laughter.
"Oh, god, Gale you were serious?"
His expression was one of anger and hopelessness.
"I'm sorry Gale. It's just this world we live in, I couldn't do this..." I said gesturing to the trees around us. "... to anyone"
"I know Katnip, I know." He exhaled, defeated.