Part One ~ Wednesday

“We are here Sir.”   

Tom rubbed his eyes and stretched his legs.  The last thing he was able to remember was getting in the limo in Toronto and putting his feet up as it crawled through traffic.  A summer storm had blown in as the limo left the city center and the sound of the rain pattering against the roof of the car had been an effective sedative.   

Tom reached for the door handle and pushed the door open.  His tired eyes weren’t expecting the blast of sunshine that exploded into the dark cocoon of the limo.  Squinting he reached for his sunglasses and climbed out of the car. 

The day was warm with no trace of the storms they had left hours earlier.  The lake in front of him sparkled like a field of diamonds with the afternoon sun reflecting across the surface waves.  

The resort was situated in a bay surrounded by deep green pine forest behind and a rock face wall across the bay.  The cabins were tucked into the tree line along a sandy road that separated them from the lake.  

The building the car had pulled up to had a big sign on the front reading “BAIT / GAS / FOOD”, and a glowing neon “open” sign in the window.  Chimes tinkled as Tom pushed the door open and the familiar smell of chips filled his nostrils as he stepped into the room.  There was a snack bar counter with chrome stools on the left side of the room.  Behind the counter were shelves of glass candy jars filled with goodies next to a large griddle and deep fryer.  On the right side of the room were shelves of what looked like fishing and boating equipment.

           “Are you famous?” 

 Tom turned around to see a short elderly woman in rubber boots carrying a bucket and net standing in the doorway.  She was looking at him with a grin.  ”I’m sorry?” he replied.

           “You have to be the first person to show up here in a car like that, so you must be someone important.  Are you famous?”   

 He had been expecting the usual flash of recognition followed by the gushing fans surrounding him begging for pictures, autographs and hugs.  But he was mistaken.  She didn’t know about him in the slightest.  He smiled. 

           “I don’t know if I’m famous, but I am an actor.”  

           “An actor eh? “. She looked back to the limo and whistled.  ”Must be a good one if you get to ride around in a car like that.  And from the sound of your accent you are not from around here, so, what can I do for you Mr. Actor?” She bustled past him with her bucket which Tom could see was half full of water with tiny silver fish swimming around within it. 

           “My name is Tom Hiddleston.  I believe I have a reservation to stay here for the next week or so?” 

           “Oh right.  Sorry, we don’t usually get newcomers on Wednesdays.”

“My assistant was supposed to have called to let you know I would be delayed a few days.  I apologize but my job doesn’t have a set schedule and something popped up.” Tom offered

“Oh, well.  It’s your money.  Let me check the book.  My name is Gail by the way.  My husband Joe and I own this resort.” 

           “It is a beautiful place, truly” Tom praised. 

 Gail reached across the counter to get a battered old notebook with nearly a hundred post-it notes jutting out of its pages.   “Ah here you are!  You are in number three until the 18th.  Let me just get the key and I’ll walk you up there.”  

           “Is it far?  I could give you a ride up to the cabin?” 

           “What? In the limo?” She squealed.  ”Oh how fancy!  Let me change my shoes.”  

 As Gail went back to get her shoes, Tom walked out of the store and stood on the porch.   The road extending in to the resort curved to the right ending on the opposite side of the bay that rose into a rock faced cliff.  The cabin at the end of the road was what Tom hoped was his.  It was surrounded by trees and had a covered porch that overlooked the bay from the top of the cliff.  

           “Let’s go Mr. Actor” Gail emerged from the door and Tom walked over to the car and held the passenger side door open.  Gail jumped in and slid across the seat to the driver’s side and rolled her window down.  Puzzled, Tom slid in next to her and driver pulled away from the store.

 The limo crept down the road and Gail waved at all the people they went past “Hi Barb, Hi Harley!”  She gushed as she passed a couple sitting on their front porch that waved back.  Now Tom understood why she sat on that side of the car. 

           “Here we are Mr. Actor.  Home sweet cabin.”

The limo pulled onto the grass next to a small green cabin. 

Gail unlocked the front door and showed him around.  “The bathroom has towels as requested.  If you need anything else, the camp store is open from 8 to 8 every day.  Here is your key.”  Gail handed him the key. 

After Tom helped the driver unpack, he took a few moments to let his surroundings sink in.  The cabin was exactly what he was looking for.  Small, quiet and located next to a stream that flowed into the lake.  The main room had large windows looking onto the lake and at this time of day the sun illuminated the entire room with warmth.  The sound of the bubbling stream and waves lapping onto the beach across the road was exactly what he needed.  

Peace and quiet, and away from his hectic world for ten days.