Ch. 3

It's eerie, falling into darkness. At first you think, "Why aren't I falling onto the ground below? But then you realize it's like free falling, only you have duct tape over your eyes. You have no sense of direction, because you're turning and somersaulting all at once. All in all, it's not a scenario I want to be a part of ever again.

After a couple of minutes, I straitened myself, and I was now facing what I hoped to be down. Suddenly, I thought I saw a small speck of light in the center of my vision. As I fell, it became larger, until I realized that it was square. I began to stretch out my hands, so I wouldn't get hurt as much when I came down. But suddenly my fall became slower, and I was able to see that the square of light was a room, with what appeared to be a small, green cloth and three other figures around it. Before I was able to make out anything else, I found myself face-to-face with what I guess was the floor. I closed my eyes and winced, but it didn't matter beause everything went black.

~ ~ ~

"Is he dead?"

"I don't know."

"Who is he?"

"I don't know."

"How did he get here?"

"I don't know, Clarissa."

"Why-"

"Guys, leave him alone Let him take his time to recover."

My vision was blurring in and out, but I could tell I was laying on a cold, hard surface. I tried to get up.

"See? He's not dead. Now just be quiet, I don't want any guards to come see what I'm doing."

I also heard... something. It was like, little blips of noise, like old 8-bit video game music. My stomach was on the ground, but my head was turned to a side. I flipped my head to the other side - and saw two girls, one old, one young, bundled over in the corner of what appeared to be a small jail cell of sorts. They were both staring at me with fear.

That's when I started coughing. Hard. The air around me had something hard in it. Hard and scratchy.

"Let it all out, man. It's not gonna get any better."

I slowly get up on my hands and knees to see who was talking to me. It was a boy, about two years older than me. He also hunched in a corner, with... Was that a Morse Code Transmitter? It looked a little to high-tech to be one. But I guess he was sending messages or something, and he wasn't looking at me.

I coughed, then spoke. "Wh... Who-"

"Save the questions, man. Just wait until I finish this little 'meeting'." He kept staring at the device, which had a small display screen on it. He had a small scrap of paper and a pencil that he was using to write down the messages.

After about two minutes of truly awkward silence, the boy put away the small object.

"Ok, dude," he snorted. "Let's talk."