Chapter 4

Ani's POV

As I ran away from Mel and her brother, I couldn't help but think about Bebe Dang. Mel reminded me so much of Dang that I started missing my little sister. I thought about Mel's brother and his aggressiveness towards me. However, I understood that. Mel's brother thought that I was hurting her. He was just protecting his little sister just like I would always protect Bebe Dang. I decided to visit the house and see my little sister. I just hoped that I wouldn't see my father while I was at it.

I arrived at the house. I was in luck my father was out. I saw Bebe Dang all by herself.

"Hello," I said.

"Kuya Ani!" She screamed happily while she launched herself at me.

I smiled. I carried her and twirled her around. I looked at her up and down and I noticed a couple of bruises on her shoulders. I frowned at that. I knew it was my father who did that. I sighed. I realized that in my absence my father has taken his anger out on Dang.

"Kamusta ka na, bebe Dang?" I asked.

"Ok naman po, kuya Ani." She replied.

"Sigurado ka?" I implored.

"Opo. Madalas pong dumaan si kuya Mark dito. At minsan naman, nakakaiwas ako kay itay." She replied.

I was a bit relieved to know that Kuya Mark has been checking up on her for me as he promised. It still saddened me that she didn't always avoid our father.

"Aalis ka ba ulit, kuya Ani? Iiwan mo ba ulit ako?" She asked.

I looked at her. I didn't have the heart to leave her again. Right there and then I decided that I was going to take her with me.

"Yes. I am leaving again, Bebe Dang. Pero, isasama na kita." I replied.

"Talaga, kuya Ani, isasama mo ako?" She implored.

"Yes. Kaya halika na. Let's get your stuff." I said.

"Yehey!" She said happily.

I helped Bebe Dang pack a small bag of her things. And then I took the bag. I held her hand as we left our house for good. I knew that life on the street would be hard for both of us but I was willing to take the risk since it meant that we would be finally out of our abusive household. Deep inside I knew that I should tell Kuya Mark that I took Bebe Dang and left but I didn't want to stick around the neighborhood because at any moment our father could come back.

Bebe Dang and I walked for quite a while. I took her to the carinderia that I usually ate at before going to my bed space. Afterward, I took her to my sleeping quarters. I wasn't sure if my landlord would allow me to stay with Bebe Dang. I spoke to my landlord. He had a no women policy and he couldn't allow me to stay there with her. However, he took pity on us and allowed us to stay the night. That night, I went to sleep with Bebe Dang in my arms.

The following morning I took all my stuff and left with Bebe Dang. I considered going to the market but I wasn't sure if there was a place where I could leave Dang. So, I decided against it. I decided to go scavenging instead with Bebe Dang.

I went around scavenging with Bebe Dang. However, I knew I wasn't going to earn as much as I did when I worked at the market. I wasn't going to earn enough to find a decent place to sleep tonight.

After scavenging and selling what we have found, I walk around with Bebe Dang. I bring her to the same carinderia that we ate in yesterday. After eating, I look around for a place to sleep. Bebe Dang and I would be sleeping on the streets tonight. I find a decent place in the awnings of a closed storefront where other people are also resting for the night. I once again sleep with Bebe Dang in my arms.