Chapter One | Welcome Home

"The light is different out here. It's softer."

       "It's called smog," Violet smirked, giving her sister, who was completely immersed in the oddly titled book in her lap, a nudge. The gesture was the siblings' way of picking at each other without becoming too annoying, or crossing any boundaries. Rolling her eyes playfully, the quiet teenager turned her attention back to the pages at her fingertips.

       Ben, who had been driving for the past three hours, but still managed to stay chipper, grinned, "You should be excited, Vi. You can stop sneaking cigarettes, and just start taking deep breaths."

       Wednesday felt a little grin tug at her lips, and she glanced over, sharing a knowing look with Violet. For the past few months, both Harmon children had been sneaking nicotine sticks into their home, much to their mother's displeasure. But Violet had been the only one who'd gotten caught. Her partner in crime was a bit more stealthier, and although it was frustrating at times, the trouble maker was impressed all the same.

       "I need to go to the bathroom," Violet groaned. Before Ben could say, for the fifth time in the last hour, that they were almost to their destination, the feisty girl butted in with. "Seriously, I need to go."

       "Vi, it's a freeway," Ben chuckled, and Wednesday bit back her sounds of amusement as well. "Really, where do you want me to pull over? Maybe, the Honda next to us has a bathroom, or something."

       "Bet if the baby substitute had to shit, you'd find somewhere," The dirty blonde haired girl grumbled, narrowing her eyes in the direction of the fur-ball on the other side of the vehicle.

       Hallie, the stringy haired mutt being referred to, was nestled in a car seat made for animals. The reason behind the purchase of the dog was rarely spoken of, but it didn't shock the younger, only by four months, girl. Violet had always disliked Hallie, and though the canine was a bit annoying, Wednesday found herself cuddling with it on the days she didn't feel quite like herself.

       Vivian turned slightly, and removed her sunglasses to reveal sparkling, but obviously tired blue eyes, "Really, Violet? I hate that word unless I'm saying it."

       The mother sent a teasing look in Violet's direction, and reached over, patting Wednesday's knee as well. Both girl sent their mother a smile, though one was more sarcastic than the other. Ben smiled at his children through the rear view, slyly sending a wink in their direction, "You know, I'm really glad we named you Violet instead of our second choice."

       "Which was?"

       Smirking, Vivian slid her sunglasses back onto her face, "Sunshine."

        "Come on, you gotta admit that it's funny," Ben chuckled, and the happy sound coming from her father made a soft laugh leave Wednesday's throat.

       Every joy filled smile, or amused smirk made by the platinum blonde was contagious, and that's why, instead of fuming in her seat, Violet shook her head and laughed as well. But the heartwarming moment fell short when Ben reached over to hold his wife's hand. Wednesday averted her eyes back to the words on the page of her book before she could see her mother quietly take it away. It was no secret that Mr. and Mrs. Harmon were having issues, and despite their best efforts, they couldn't keep it from their insightful children for too long.