1. Loss

"Eliana Roberts! Your father and I did not raise you to have this attitude!"

My mom stomped down the stairs and I ran into my room, while my brother followed closely at my heels, shutting the door quietly behind him.

"It'll be fine," he said, "Mom usually brush things off easily, she'll forgive you."

"But what if she doesn't?"

"Well, better be optimistic. If she doesn't, I'll make her. Remember, I'm always here for you."

I smiled, looking down at the floor. I loved my brother, no matter how much I he annoyed me sometimes. He would always be there for me and protect me.

"Thank you."

He smiled back. He bent down and kissed my forehead, tucking me into bed.

"Good night Eliana."

I grimaced. I hated that name. My father gave that name to me.

"You know I hate that name."

"I'd still prefer you as Eliana." he smiled cheekily.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Please."

"Okay, okay." he raised his hands up in defence, "Elly."

I frowned, exasperated. "Not that either."

"Eliana Catherine Roberts, if you don't stop this right now," he paused, and furrowed his brow, thinking of the threat he was going to give me.

I poked his right cheek playfully, just to annoy him.

"Ouch! Hey, that wasn't nice."

I grinned. It was always fun to see him irritated.

He sighed, giving up. "Fine, you win this time Ana," he rolled his eyes, "Good night, sweet dreams."

He switched off the light and paused before leaving the room.

"Happy 14th birthday again Ana."

He turned and left.

Little did I know that this would be the last time I would see him happy again.

***

"Ana! Wake up!"

My 8-year-old little sister was jumping on the bed again.

I groaned turning over to face the other side of the bed.

"Oh, good morning Emma," I said sarcastically, "Leave me alone and let me sleep."

Damn, it sure was quite stuffy and hot for an autumn morning.

"But this is important, and it's still dark."

That was when I heard the tone in her voice. She was dead serious.

"I'm scared Ana, when I woke up in the middle of the night and I smelled smoke."

Then it hit me. No wonder it was burning like hell. The house was on fire.

I sat straight up in bed.

"Em, stay low and follow me."

She nodded.

We walked out into the hallway. The sound of our footsteps padded on the soft carpet. The great, white walls that screamed power and wealth were slowly burning. The flames licked devouringly through the mansion, burning all the colourful paintings that hung on the walls. A chandelier crashed onto the floor, shattering all the glass pieces. I shielded Emma with my back, and hurried into the next hallway. I headed straight to my brother's room.