Let Go

"I have to deactivate you. I'm sorry."

He pushed my wrist against the wall roughly. It didn't stop my hand from violently shaking, and it definitely didn't stop the tears from falling from his face.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he kept repeating the line over and over again, hardly pausing to breathe. "I don't want to do this."

"It's okay," I told him softly, and tried to make eye contact. "You'll always remember the memories we had together, right?"

He sobbed. "Yeah, I guess I will. I just hope one day I won't forget about you." He felt my skin, trying to find the hatch.

I sighed heavily, I love this place. But I understood why he had to do this. It was for the safety of everyone we knew. I guess the world was never quite ready for robots yet.

"If you forget about me," I started slowly, "It's okay. Whatever happens after this, and if I have some sort of conscience, I will forgive you. I understand that you will carry on with your life and find someone who will always be there for you, and won't break down and go wild. It's okay to let go sometimes."

He let go of my wrist briefly to wipe his eyes. He didn't say anything, but I think he understood what I said. He finally got the hatch to pop open, and there was my end to this world.

"I don't think I can say goodbye. You're too much like the person I wanted to meet," he stared into my eyes as I noticed the muscles in his face tighten.

With my free hand, I stroked his face. "You are an admirable man. Like I said, you will meet someone that will love you more than anything. Remember, I am a robot. Maybe I was never destined to love you, but I was destined to be created by you. And if it ends like this for me, I am satisfied with the life that I had here, and it was all because of you."

His head hung low. "Goodbye, I will try not to forget you." He grasped the wires and in one last effort, he pulled them.

****

Prompt from:

http://www.justinmclachlan.com/