TWICE STORY

Pre-debut: New JYP Girl Group and SIXTEEN

In 2012, a video of Dahyun at church performing a "head-banging, wing-flapping, and thoroughly irrepressible dance" to 's "" went viral and earned her the moniker "Eagle Dance Church Sister." She regained notoriety after fans noticed that she had been cast in a video teaser for 's "Stop Stop It."

On December 19, 2013, announced that they would debut a new girl group in the first half of 2014, the first female group to come out of the company since the debut of in 2010. On February 27, 2014, the well-known JYP trainee Lena was confirmed as member of the group, while other members were rumored to be JYP trainees Nayeon, Jungyeon, Jisoo (later Jihyo), Sana, and Minyoung. After Lena's departure from the company, the group did not debut in 2014 as planned.

On February 11, 2015, announced that the lineup of JYP's upcoming girl group would be decided through , a competition survival show that would air on later that year. Park explained in a press conference prior to the show's airing that he hoped the group would "have the ' and 's natural, healthy feel, with an edgier and wilder side. I want to upgrade this next group by adding elements like hip-hop and rap." The show began on May 5 and ended with Nayeon, Sana, Dahyun, Tzuyu, Chaeyoung, Mina, Jihyo, Jungyeon, and Momo as the final Twice members. A representative from JYP Entertainment stated that the company intends to debut Twice by the end of 2015.

On 10 July 2015, Twice opened their official account with the first picture of the nine members posing together as Twice. It was also announced that JYP Entertainment would release TwiceTV, a web series that will share members' hopes and stories through interviews and follow them as they prepare for their debut.

2015: Debut with "Like OOH-AHH"

On October 7, 2015, JYP Entertainment launched the band's official website and announced via that the group would debut with the mini-album The Story Begins and title-track "Like OOH-AHH". The track is described as a 'color pop' dance track with elements of , , and . The composition team included Black Eyed Pilseung, known for composing successful releases such as 's "Only You." On October 20, the album and the song's music video were released online and through the Naver V App. The group held a live showcase the same day, where they performed "Like OOH-AHH" along with dance tracks "Must Be Crazy" and "Do It Again." The music video reached almost 1 million views in less than 12 hours.