-1-

~Dexter's P.O.V~

"I... don't see the point in this," I admit, but Daring just flashes a smile in my direction.

"You never see the point in anything," he retorts, "And that's why I get all the girls."

I nod reluctantly, because he has a point- he does get all the girls. Maybe I needed to trust him, because if it weren't for Daring, I wouldn't be going to the Ball with Raven.

Smiling to myself, I think back to last week;

As I come out of the classroom, arms full of books on dragons and there weaknesses, I recognize Daring's figure leaning against my locker. He's grinning cockily at a couple of younger girls passing by. They giggle and I swear one is a step away from fainting. I sigh and approach my older, idiotic brother. 

He smirks when he sees me.

"No flirting on my locker," I say sternly, "You know the rules."

Daring rolls his eyes. "Rules, schmules. They're for losers," he complains, but he steps back from my locker and I open it, shoving my books as far back as I can. As soon as I pull my hands back, the metal door clangs shut and Daring resumes his place leaning against it.

"Cocky bastard," I mutter.

"Your brother," he replies, mock offended. Then his expression changes. "Anyway," he says, in a tone that tells me he needs something from me. "Speaking of being brothers, I need a favor. Because you're my brother. And brothers help eachother."

I snort. "Since when have you helped me?" I ask, and Daring shifts, seemingly uncomfortable. What- Daring? Uncomfortable? How could that be? "What?"

He shrugs, trying to regain his confidence. "Well, I figured it's about time I changed that," he says, shrugging again. The first bell rings and I back away from my locker, about to head to class.

"Whatever, Daring," I say. "I don't really know how you can help me."

"Well, yeah I can!" he says quickly, rushed and worried, and I realize why he came to me in the first place to 'help'.

I groan, watching as people filter past us. "What do you need Daring?"

He stares at his feet, shuffling. "Err... it's just- you're smart, right? I mean, not that I'm not smart, it's just that... that I'm not doing to well in class and- and Dad says if I- er- don't get better grades he'll... he'll ground me."

It clicks into place- grounded; no MirrorPhone, no dragon-riding, no shopping, no dates. For once, Daring needed me- to tutor him. I nod slowly, understanding.

"So you'll help me?" Daring asks hopefully.

"What's in it for me?" I ask sharply, and he smirks.

"Wait and see, brother, wait and see."

So when Daring presents me with the 'super slick hair gel' I accept- reluctantly- because his judgement has only done me good so far.

"I don't see how this will help," I repeat honestly, but Daring just shrugs.

"You don't need to," he answers. "But they do." He indicates with one hand out the window to a group of giggling girls making their way to the ball. There are two- one wearing a pink, slinky dress, shimmering with sequins, another with her blond curls pinned atop her head, showered with glitter.

I sigh, holding out my hand expectantly. Daring smirks, shoving the hair gel into my hand.

Once I've finished applying it, Daring tries to hold back his grin, and I try my best to tackle Daring.

"I look ridiculous," I exclaim after failing to bring him to the ground.

"No," Daring objects. "You look like a girl."