Prolouge

As she exited the ferry, the Georgia glanced at the glossy invitation in her hands. The white writing glistened in the sun, dictating to her a life changer.

You are invited to this years

Halloween Hall Bash

Saturday, 31st of October

Alistor Hotel, Kingspin Island

She couldn't believe she had been invited. Only the best and brightest of Minefield Bay were invited to the Halloween Hall Bash every year. It was always held on the illusive Kingspin Island, and it was always the dream of every person in Minefield Bay that they would receive an invitation. Half the fun was in the mystery. No one knew who held the parties, though it was rumoured to be a government initiative to get rid of the party scene. Others murmured that the rich Ellenridges family held it, which was the rumour Georgia herself believed. After all, who else was known for doing outlandish things in Minefield Bay? The other part of the mystery lay in the party itself. The invitations never said it was a costume party, nor masked, yet every year, each person asked to come received a package of clothes and a mask two days before the event. Each package came with the strict instructions that the receiver refrain from opening the gift until the day of the bash, and those who didn't wait had a way of never getting to the party at all, with broken bones and family emergencies affecting every last one. Those who messed with the rules were never invited again.

May's electric blue dress swished as they stopped before the hotel. Georgia glanced at her friend, and once again checked the invitation. Another rule everyone knew – you never bought anything else with you if it wasn't in the packages. You brought yourself and your invitation, and your phone if you were lucky enough to have a place for it in your outfit.

"Are you sure this wasn't just a joke?" May asked, her Smokey voice seeming to fill the bustling space. The two girls were thrust out of the way by another girl entering the foyer, her black pant suit and mask telling all that she too had been invited. Georgia glanced down at her own gun metal grey dress, the hot pink belt and wedges accenting the glittering mask perfectly. A small smile crept over her face.

"Definitely," she murmured, sweeping the doors apart and entering the sleek hotel foyer. Signs easily showed the way to where the party guests were eagerly waiting for the clock to strike eight pm. Only then would the stairwell open and the guests begin the ten-floor hike to the penthouse. May grasped Georgia's hand, and the two checked the room for Charlie. She'd told them earlier that she was in a florescent orange jacket and blue long-legged overalls, and they found her standing with Mia in the corner. The theme, outfit wise, was evidently two-tones per person.

It was then that the stairwell doors opened.