The Infection

"It's happening. The infection is spreading at an alarming rate." The doctor says in a rushed tone.

"Five more dead just this morning. What are we going to do doctor?" The nurse sighs, the sound of a nail file in the background.

"How much longer is this supposed to go on? People are dropping like leaves." The doctor says, sounding exhausted, taking long heavy sighs.

"Maybe they'll all just die off. Then maybe we will be able to go home." The nurse snaps.

"Have you no shame? No humanity? Those are people out there." The doctor is flabbergasted at the nurse's inhumane attitude.

"I have been in this hospital for the past four days with less than ten hours sleep. I'd probably be better off as one of the infected." The nurse hisses.

"Count yourself lucky you are not one of those people in those beds fighting for your life." The doctor scolds. The nurse only grumbles under her breath.

"What will we tell the media? People are going to be asking questions about why so many people are dying. What will we tell them." The nurse starts filing her nails again.

"We tell them the truth." The doctor pauses, his voice dropping to a whisper. "It's an outbreak of rabies."

The nail file clinks as it drops to the ground, the sound echoing through the closet like a clap of thunder.