The Dressing Room

The screams of the audience pierced through the air as she spun around and walked towards the entrance to the backstage. She was out of breath, dizzy from excitement, and frankly, a little overwhelmed by the awkwardness of finally getting to touch Alden Richards. Alden Richards, who, coincidentally, was now walking right beside her towards the backstage. She swallowed and hazarded a glance. To her mild surprise, he was already staring at her. He smiled when she looked up. She smiled back and quickly averted her eyes to the ground, face burning.

As they reached the backstage, Alden stopped in his tracks, and Maine stopped to look at him.

He smiled again at her, and she can't help but marvel at those ridiculously adorable dimples on either side of his face. "Hi," he said, stepping closer towards her.

She felt her heartbeat quicken. "Hi," she echoed.

"So, we—"

"Excuse me," a member of the production staff came, ushering them along, "sa dressing rooms na tayo please, para hindi makablock sa daan dito. Thank you!"

They both nodded and obediently walked to their dressing rooms.

"Um, so," Alden began, walking in stride with her, "that was... wow... wala pa akong naexperience na ganito sa buhay ko."

Maine laughed a little. "Ano, ang pagkakiligan ng 55,000 people sa Philippine Arena dahil lang sa isang hug?"

"YES, yun," Alden chuckled, "at... lahat. Lahat nung nangyayari. Lahat 'to." He paused. "Tsaka, tayong... dalawa."

Maine gave a small gasp and felt her heart rise to her throat. She gulped and glanced at him, studying him as he smiled at his shoes. She started wondering again, as she had been constantly wondering these past few months: could he really like her? Was it real for him, or all for show?

"Ah, ito na pala yung dressing rooms," she heard Alden say, as they approached a door that bore Maine's name.

"Kung gusto mo," she blurted, before she could stop herself, "p-pwede ka namang tumambay muna sa dressing room ko." She felt her throat go dry. Was that too forward? Dapat ba 'di ko na lang sinabi yun?! "Kung gusto mo lang, since," she croaked, "since pwede na."

Alden's lips formed a smile and he nodded at her. "Sige."

She felt as though her heart was doing somersaults in her chest. "Okay!" She smiled, walking towards her dressing room door.

"Ay, wait lang," Alden muttered, "I'll just get some things, balik ako." He grinned and quickly walked off to his dressing room.

She curiously watched him walking away as she opened the door. She tore her gaze and stepped inside, leaning against the door she had just shut, wondering: Babalik kaya talaga siya? What if excuse lang niya 'yun kasi ayaw pala niya talagang mag-hang out, pero ayaw rin niyang saktan yung feelings ko?! She sighed and pouted, her heart feeling heavy in her chest. She walked towards her couch and sat down. Low expectations, she reminded herself, as she did everyday, don't assume anything. Maybe it is all just for show... and, honestly, that's okay. She sighed again. At least marami kang pinapasaya. Isipin mo na lang yun.

Loud knocking on her door brought her thoughts to a halt. "Maine?" she heard Alden's muffled voice.

Her heart raced again as she rushed to the door to open it.

There he stood, still in his Prince Charming long coat and tie, holding two bottles of water in one hand and a large bag of potato chips in the other. "I thought na mas masaya ang tambay kung may merienda," he grinned, handing her the potato chips.